HMS Eskimo (F119)
|Builder:||J. Samuel White|
|Laid down:||22 October 1958|
|Launched:||20 March 1960|
|Commissioned:||21 February 1963|
|Fate:||Scrapped in 1992|
|Class and type:||Tribal-class frigate|
|Beam:||42 ft 3 in (12.88 m)|
|Speed:||27 knots (50 km/h; 31 mph) (COSAG)|
|Range:||4,500 nautical miles (8,300 km; 5,200 mi) at 12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph)|
|Aircraft carried:||1 × Westland Wasp helicopter|
Eskimo began her third commission in October 1966. In 1967, Eskimo transferred to the Mediterranean Fleet, with which the ship took part in a number of port visits and exercises. In June, Eskimo replaced her sistership Ashanti off Aden in response to the start of the Six-Day War. In 1968 she took part in Portsmouth 'Navy Days'.
In 1976, Eskimo served as the West Indies Guardship. She escorted Queen Elizabeth II aboard Britannia as part of America's Bi-Centennial celebrations. Eskimo returned to the Caribbean in 1977.
Due to a manpower shortage in the Royal Navy, Eskimo was reduced to the reserve in 1980, being placed into the Standby Squadron, and in 1981 was put on the disposal list. In 1984 she was cannibalised for spare parts for three Tribal-class frigates sold to Indonesia. On 16 January 1986, Eskimo was towed from Portsmouth to Pembroke Dock to be used as a target, but was not used as such. In May 1992 she was towed from Pembroke to Bilbao, Spain to be scrapped.
|1964||1966||Commander E R Anson RN|
|1966||1968||Commander S A C Cassels RN|
|1968||1968||Commander J F Kidd RN|
|1974||1975||Commander A Grose RN|
|1975||1976||Commander R K Dibble RN|
|1976||1978||Commander C Morgan RN|
- Blackman 1971, p. 356.
- Gardiner, Robert & Chesneau, Roger (1995). p. 518
- "News in Brief". The Times (55970): Col B, p. 6. 26 March 1964
- British warships redeployed in Mediterranean. The Times (56960): Col A, p. 10. 6 June 1967.
- Programme, Navy Days at Portsmouth August 31st-September 2nd 1968, p.19.
- Hansard (28 June 1979), hansard.millbanksystems.com. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- Hansard (26 April 1982), hansard.millbanksystems.com. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- http://www.shipstamps.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8257 shipstamps.co.uk: HMS Eskimo
- Blackman, Raymond V.B. Jane's Fighting Ships 1971–72. London: Sampson Low, Marston & Co, 1971. ISBN 0 354 00096 9.
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8. OCLC 67375475.
- Gardiner, Robert & Chesneau, Roger (1995), Conway's All The World's Fighting Ships, 1947-1995, Conway Maritime Press, London, ISBN 978-0-8517-7605-7.
- Marriott, Leo, 1983. Royal Navy Frigates 1945-1983, Ian Allen Ltd. ISBN 07110 1322 5