HMS Guadeloupe (1763)
Guadeloupe was built to the same design as HMS Carysfort, (pictured)
|Namesake:||Invasion of Guadeloupe (1759)|
|Laid down:||8 May 1759|
|Launched:||5 December 1763|
|Completed:||11 July 1764|
|Out of service:||Scuttled on 10 October 1781|
|Fate:||Deleted from navy list in 1786|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||Coventry-class sixth-rate frigate|
|Displacement:||850 tons (French)|
|Tons burthen:||586 30⁄94 (bm)|
|Beam:||33 ft 8 in (10.3 m)|
|Depth of hold:||10 ft 6 in (3.20 m)|
|Sail plan:||Full-rigged ship|
HMS Guadeloupe (or Guadaloupe), was a 28-gun sixth-rate Coventry-class frigate of the Royal Navy. The ship was designed by Sir Thomas Slade, and was initially contracted to be built with the Pembrokeshire shipwright John Williams of Neyland; however he became bankrupt and the Admiralty transferred the order to the Plymouth Naval Dockyard.
Guadeloupe served during the American War of Independence. At Yorktown her men, stores and guns were landed to support the British Army during the siege. When she came under fire from shore batteries the British scuttled her in the York River, Virginia, on 10 October 1781 to prevent the French capturing her.
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8.
- Demerliac, Alain (1996) La Marine De Louis XVI: Nomenclature Des Navires Français De 1774 À 1792. (Nice: Éditions OMEGA). ISBN 2-906381-23-3
- Gardiner, Robert (1992) The First Frigates. (London: Conway Maritime Press). ISBN 0-85177-601-9.
- Hepper, David J. (1994). British Warship Losses in the Age of Sail, 1650-1859. Rotherfield: Jean Boudriot. ISBN 0-948864-30-3.
- Lyon, David (1993) The Sailing Navy List. (London: Conway Maritime Press). ISBN 0-85177-617-5.
- Winfield, Rif (2007). British Warships in the Age of Sail 1714–1792: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates. Seaforth. ISBN 978-1844157006.
- Winfield, Rif & Stephen S Roberts (2015) French Warships in the Age of Sail 1786 - 1861: Design Construction, Careers and Fates. (Seaforth Publishing). ISBN 9781848322042
Media related to HMS Guadeloupe (ship, 1763) at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a specific naval ship or boat of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|