HMS Keppel (F85)
Blackwood-class frigate HMS Keppel (F85), February 1972 (IWM HU 129869)
|Laid down:||27 March 1953|
|Launched:||31 August 1954|
|Commissioned:||6 July 1956|
|Identification:||Pennant number: F85|
|Class and type:||Blackwood-class frigate (Type 14 frigate)|
|Displacement:||1,456 long tons (1,479 t) full load|
|Length:||310 ft (94.5 m)|
|Beam:||33 ft (10.1 m)|
|Draught:||15 ft (4.6 m)|
|Propulsion:||1 shaft; 1 steam turbine set|
|Speed:||27 knots (50 km/h; 31 mph)|
|Range:||5,200 nmi (9,600 km; 6,000 mi) at 12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph)|
The Blackwood class displaced 1,180 long tons (1,200 t) at standard load and 1,456 long tons (1,479 t) at deep load. They had an overall length of 310 feet (94.5 m), a beam of 33 feet (10.1 m) and a draught of 15 feet (4.6 m). The ships were powered by one English Electric geared steam turbine that drove the single propeller shaft, using steam provided by two Babcock & Wilcox boilers. The turbine developed a total of 15,000 shaft horsepower (11,000 kW) and gave a maximum speed of 27 knots (50 km/h; 31 mph). The Blackwoods had a range of 4,500 nautical miles (8,300 km; 5,200 mi) at 12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph). Their complement was 140 officers and ratings.
The ships were armed with three Bofors 40 mm guns in single mounts. The mount on the quarterdeck was later removed as it was unusable in heavy seas. They were equipped with two triple-barrelled Limbo Mark 10 anti-submarine mortars. The Blackwood-class ships had the same sonar suite as the larger Whitby-class frigates where the Limbo mortars were controlled by three sonars, the Type 174 search set, Type 162 target-classification set and the Type 170 'pencil beam' targeting set to determine the bearing and depth of the target.
Construction and career
- Marriott, p. 66
- Gardiner, Chumbley & Budzbon, p. 515
- Marriott, pp. 55, 66, 69
- Marriott, pp. 68–69
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8. OCLC 67375475.
- Critchley, Mike (1986). British Warships Since 1945: Part 5: Frigates. Liskeard, UK: Maritime Books. ISBN 0-907771-13-0.
- Friedman, Norman (2006). British Destroyers and Frigates, the Second World War and After. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1-86176-137-6.
- Gardiner, Robert; Chumbley, Stephen & Budzbon, Przemysław (1995). Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1947-1995. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1-55750-132-7.
- Marriott, Leo (1983). Royal Navy Frigates 1945-1983. Shepperton, Surrey, UK: Ian Allan. ISBN 0-7110-1322-5.