HMS Nubian (F131)
|Laid down:||7 September 1959|
|Launched:||6 September 1960|
|Commissioned:||9 October 1962|
|Identification:||Pennant number F131|
|Fate:||Sunk as target 1987|
|Class and type:||Tribal-class frigate|
Nubian was built by Portsmouth Dockyard, at a cost of £4,360,000. She was launched on 6 September 1960 by Lady Holland-Martin, wife of Vice-Admiral Sir Deric Holland-Martin, and commissioned on 9 October 1962.
In 1964, Nubian suffered a collision that caused minor damage. She joined the Beira Patrol off Mozambique in 1967, supporting the enforcement of an oil blockade of Rhodesia. Nubian constituted the escort for the trans-Atlantic air race in 1969 that commemorated the 50th Anniversary of Alcock and Brown's non-stop transatlantic flight from Newfoundland to Britain. In 1971 she was present at Portsmouth Navy Days. In 1975, Nubian reinforced the British garrison in Belize after Guatemala intensified its threats to annex the territory.
In 1978, Nubian assisted in the cleanup after the supertanker Amoco Cadiz grounded off the coast of Brittany; more than 200,000 tons (180,000 metric tons) of oil had polluted the Brittany coastline.
Nubian entered the reserve in 1979, being placed in the Standby Squadron and put on the disposal list in 1981. While in reserve, Nubian became a training ship and had parts cannibalised for three sister-ships sold to Indonesia in 1984. The frigate was sunk as a target on 27 May 1987.
|1962||1964||Captain I W Jamieson RN|
|1964||1966||Captain E G Brown RN|
|1966||1969||Captain D E deM Leathes RN|
|1969||1971||Commander G T J O Dalton RN|
|1972||1974||Commander M J G Howitt RN|
|1974||1977||Commander R J Onslow RN|
|1977||1977||Commander J R Griffiths RN|
|1978||1979||Commander I D MacKenzie RN|
- Gardiner, Robert & Chesneau, Roger (1995), p. 518.
- "Nuclear Submarine Costs £18M". The Times (55633): Col A, p. 6. 23 February 1963.
- "Frigate In A Hurry". The Times (54870): Col B, p. 14. 7 September 1960.
- "Navy Checks On Tanker Off Beira". The Times (56904): Col G, p. 1. 1 April 1967.
- Programme, Navy Days Portsmouth, 29th-31st August 1971, p13.
- "Britain winning support for Belize self-determination". The Times (59552): Col B, p. 7. 13 November 1975.
- Official Souvenir Programme, 1977. Silver Jubilee Fleet Review, HMSO
- Hansard (26 April 1982), hansard.millbanksystems.com. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- Colledge, J. J. & Warlow, Ben (2010), p. 284.
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8. OCLC 67375475.
- Gardiner, Robert; Chesneau, Roger, eds. (1995). Conway's All The World's Fighting Ships, 1947-1995. London: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 978-0-8517-7605-7.
- Marriott, Leo (1983). Royal Navy Frigates 1945-1983. Surrey: Ian Allen Ltd.