HMS Token (P328)
HMS Token in October 1946
|Laid down:||6 November 1941|
|Launched:||19 March 1943|
|Commissioned:||15 December 1945|
|Class and type:||British T class submarine|
|Length:||276 ft 6 in (84.28 m)|
|Beam:||25 ft 6 in (7.77 m)|
|Range:||4,500 nautical miles at 11 knots (8,330 km at 20 km/h) surfaced|
|Test depth:||300 ft (91 m) max|
HMS Token was a British submarine of the third group of the T class. She was built as P328 at Portsmouth Dockyard, and launched on 19 March 1943. So far she has been the only ship of the Royal Navy to bear the name Token.
Commissioned into service after the end of the Second World War, on 3 September 1945, she had a relatively peaceful career with the Navy. In 1953 she took part in the Fleet Review to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
She was modernised at Devonport Dockyard in 1955. Her career was spent on the Home Station and in the Mediterranean, re-fitting at Malta. In 1965 she was part of the 1st Submarine Squadron in Portsmouth, providing basic training to submarines crews. In that year she took part in Portsmouth 'Navy Days'.
She was finally scrapped at Cairn Ryan in March 1970.
- Souvenir Programme, Coronation Review of the Fleet, Spithead, 15th June 1953, HMSO, Gale and Polden
- Programme, Portsmouth Navy Days 1965, HMSO, p20
- HMS Token, Uboat.net
- Akermann, Paul (2002). Encyclopaedia of British Submarines 1901–1955 (reprint of the 1989 ed.). Penzance, Cornwall: Periscope Publishing. ISBN 1-904381-05-7.
- Bagnasco, Erminio (1977). Submarines of World War Two. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 0-87021-962-6.
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8. OCLC 67375475.
- Chesneau, Roger, ed. (1980). Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1922–1946. Greenwich, UK: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-146-7.
- Kemp, Paul J. (1990). The T-class Submarine: The Classic British Design. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1-55750-826-7.
- McCartney, Innes (2006). British Submarines 1939–1945. New Vanguard. 129. Oxford, UK: Osprey. ISBN 1-84603-007-2.
|This article about a specific naval submarine of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|