HMS Vengeance (S31)
HMS Vengeance returning to HMNB Clyde
|Laid down:||1 February 1993|
|Launched:||19 September 1998|
|Commissioned:||27 November 1999|
|In service:||12 February 2001|
|Motto:||Safe by my strength|
|Fate:||In Devonport for refit, as of 2012|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||Vanguard-class submarine|
|Displacement:||15,900 tonnes, submerged|
|Length:||149.9 m (491 ft 10 in)|
|Beam:||12.8 m (42 ft 0 in)|
|Draught:||12 m (39 ft 4 in)|
|Speed:||In excess of 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph), submerged|
|Range:||Only limited by food and maintenance requirements.|
|Armament:||4 × 21 in (533 mm) torpedo tubes for:
16 ballistic missile tubes for:
Before she was commissioned, the British Government stated that once the Vanguard submarines became fully operational, they would only carry 200 warheads.
On 31 March 2011, while on a training exercise Vengeance suffered a blockage in her propulsor causing a reduction in propulsion. The boat returned to Faslane naval base on the surface under her own power. According to the MOD the problems were not nuclear related.
- Displacement: 16,000 tons submerged
- Propulsion: Rolls-Royce PWR2 reactor, two GEC turbines, single shaft, pump jet propulsor
- Electrical Power: two Paxman diesel generators, two WH Allen turbogenerators
- Speed: 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph) submerged
- Complement: 14 officers, 121 men
- Strategic Armament: 16 Lockheed Trident II D5 ballistic missiles
- Defensive Armament: four 533 mm (21-inch) torpedo tubes, Spearfish torpedoes
- Jane's Fighting Ships, 2004-2005. Jane's Information Group Limited. p. 794. ISBN 0-7106-2623-1.
- "The Current British Arsenal". The Nuclear Weapon Archive - A Guide to Nuclear Weapons. Retrieved 2007-02-23.
- Royal Navy Vanguard class submarine, royalnavy.mod.uk
- "HMS Vengeance nuclear sub returns home after power loss". BBC News. 3 April 2011.
- Cabinets and the Bomb by Peter Hennnessy, published for the British Academy by Oxford University Press reviewed on BBC Radio 4, Start the Week
- Royal Navy HMS Vengeance (royalnavy.mod.uk)