HMS Victorious (S29)
|Laid down:||3 December 1987|
|Launched:||29 September 1993|
|Commissioned:||7 January 1995|
|Fate:||in active service|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||Vanguard-class submarine|
|Displacement:||15,900 tonnes, submerged|
|Length:||149.9 m (491 ft 10 in)|
|Beam:||12.8 m (42 ft 0 in)|
|Draught:||12 m (39 ft 4 in)|
|Speed:||In excess of 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph), submerged|
|Range:||Only limited by food and maintenance requirements.|
Her crew is made up of two watches, "Port" and "Starboard".
Victorious was involved in a minor collision with a United States Coast Guard ship in July 2001. The Coast Guard ship became tangled in the fibre optic cables of the submarine's sonar system which disabled its turbines. Victorious was not damaged in the incident.
She became the second of the class to refit, during which time she was fitted with a 'Core H' reactor core ensuring that the boat will not need to refuel again until the end of its service life. In 2008, she underwent sea trials before resuming patrols in 2009.
In 2013, Victorious completed the UK's 100th deterrent patrol.
- Displacement: 16,000 tons submerged
- Propulsion: Rolls-Royce PWR2 reactor, two GEC turbines, single shaft, pump jet propulsor
- Electrical Power: two Paxman diesel generators, two WH Allen turbogenerators
- Speed: 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph) submerged
- Complement: 21 officers, 146 men
- Strategic Armament: 16 Lockheed Trident II D5 ballistic missiles
- Defensive Armament: four 533 mm (21-inch) torpedo tubes, Spearfish torpedoes
- Jane's Fighting Ships, 2004-2005. Jane's Information Group Limited. p. 794. ISBN 0-7106-2623-1.
- Royal Navy Vanguard class submarine, royalnavy.mod.uk
- Royal Navy bridge card, 11 February 2011
- Hansard Hand Written Answers, publications.parliament.uk, 2 Nov 2010
- Royal Navy - HMS Victorious, royalnavy.mod.uk
- Victorious summer ends with divisions for submarine’s crew, royalnavy.mod.uk, 26/07/2013
- Royal Navy HMS Victorious (royalnavy.mod.uk)