HMS Walney (M104)
HMS Walney docked at Liverpool in May 2006
|Name:||HMS Walney (M104)|
|Launched:||25 November 1991|
|Commissioned:||19 February 1993|
|Decommissioned:||15 October 2010|
|Class and type:||Sandown class minehunter|
|Speed:||13 knots diesel, 6.5 knots electric|
|Complement:||34 (7 officers, 27 ratings)|
HMS Walney (M104) was a Sandown-class minehunter of the British Royal Navy. She was the fourth of the Sandown-class minehunters, and the second ship to carry the name, which comes from the island off Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria on the north-west coast of England.
Construction and design
HMS Walney was one of four Sandown-class minehunters ordered from Vosper Thornycroft on 27 July 1987. She was laid down at Vosper Thoneycroft's Woolston, Southampton shipyard in May 1990, launched on 25 November 1991 and commissioned on 20 February 1993.
It was announced on December 16, 2009, that Walney would be decommissioned sometime in 2010. She was decommissioned in a ceremony on 15 October 2010 at her homeport, HMNB Clyde. Walney called in at her affiliated town of Barrow-in-Furness on her way to her final port of call, Portsmouth Naval Base where she remains laid up in 3 Basin. In 2014 the ship was listed for sale via the Disposal Services Authority.
- The casualty department at Furness General Hospital
- TS Quantock, Marine Society and Sea Cadet Corps in Ashton-under-Lyne
- Baker 1998, p. 947.
- Saunders 2002, p. 780.
- "1000 lb WW II Bomb Discovered During Operation Roco". Irishseashipping. 2006. Retrieved 27 October 2010.
- "MoD names ships cut from Navy". Defence Management. 26 October 2010. Retrieved 27 October 2010.
- Listing for ex-HMS Walney https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sale-of-the-former-hms-walney-fibre-glass-vessel
- "Base Says Farewell To Mine Hunter". Royal Navy. 26 October 2010. Retrieved 27 October 2010.
- Baker, A.D. (1998). The Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World 1998–1999. Annapolis, Maryland, USA: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1-55750-111-4.
- Saunders, Stephen (2002). Jane's Fighting Ships 2002–2003. Coulsdon, UK: Jane's Information Group. ISBN 0-7106-24328.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HMS Walney (M104).|