This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article may contain wording that promotes the subject through exaggeration of unnoteworthy facts. (September 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Christopher Wright (Managing Director)|
Number of employees
|Parent||cap hpi Solera|
HPI is a British vehicle history checking service founded in 1938 and part of UK automotive data business cap hpi.
The company was set up to prevent the wrongful sale of hire-purchase cars and were the first organisation of its kind. HPI works alongside the police, DVLA, finance companies such as Experian, as well as insurance companies to generate detailed vehicle history reports for consumers in the second-hand car market. The report, called HPI Check, informs consumers whether a vehicle has outstanding finance, been stolen, written off as a total loss, has a mileage discrepancy (clocked), had a plate change, been cloned, or has an outstanding logbook loan. The HPI Check can be performed on any vehicle that is registered in the UK with the DVLA, including caravans and quad bikes. In 2008, HPI were acquired by Solera. HPI Headquarters are currently situated in Leeds.
HPI Check is a vehicle history check service provided by HPI (formerly known as Hire Purchase Information) in the UK. HPI pioneered the vehicle history check in 1938. The HPI Check produces a report that provides information about a vehicle's history, mainly if it has outstanding finance, or if it is written off, stolen or clocked.
- Fagelson, Ian (1 January 1977). "Wrongful Sale of Hire-Purchase Cars". The Modern Law Review. 40 (1): 64–67. JSTOR 1095439.
- ActionFraud (8 November 2013). "Beware of 'virtual car seller' scam".
- "Q&A: Buying a used car". 18 March 2010 – via bbc.co.uk.
- ". Devon County Council- Safer vehicles Retrieved 11 June 2015". Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Planet, Lonely. "UK & Ireland FAQ thread".
- "Buying a used car - Citizens Advice".
- Phillips, Tricia (18 April 2013). "Hidden loan hell: Don't get caught out when buying a second hand car".
- "Caravans 'most annoying'". 4 August 2014.
- "Aviva sells HPI to Solera Holdings Inc - Aviva plc". 19 October 2017.
- "cap hpi linkedin".
- "What is an HPI check? - Car News, Reviews & Buyers Guides". Car News, Reviews & Buyers Guides. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Q&A: Buying a used car". BBC. 18 March 2010. Retrieved 12 April 2016.