HP Inc's logo
|Headquarters||Palo Alto, California|
HP Labs is the exploratory and advanced research group for HP Inc. HP Labs' headquarters is in Palo Alto, California and the group has research and development facilities in Bristol, UK. The development of programmable desktop calculators, inkjet printing, and 3D graphics are credited to HP Labs researchers.
The labs have downsized dramatically; in August 2007, HP executives drastically diminished the number of projects, down from 150 to 30. As of 2018, HP Labs has just over 200 researchers, compared to earlier staffing levels of 500 researchers.
With the Hewlett Packard Enterprise being spun off from Hewlett-Packard in November 1, 2015 and renamed to and HP Inc., the research lab also spun off Hewlett Packard Labs to Hewlett Packard Enterprise and HP Labs was kept for HP Inc.
HP Labs has made a substantial investment in the development of HP MultiJet Fusion technology.
The following have served as Director of HP Labs since its foundation in 1966.
- Barney Oliver (1966–81)
- John Doyle (1981–84)
- Joel Birnbaum (1984–86 and 1991–99)
- Don Hammond (1986–87)
- Frank Carrubba (1987–91)
- Ed Karrer (1999)
- Dick Lampman (1999–2007)
- Prith Banerjee (2007–2012)
- Chandrakant Patel (interim; April 7, 2012 – Nov 2012)
- Martin Fink (2012–2016)
- Shane Wall (2016–present)
HP Labs has laboratories in two major sites:
- "About HP Labs". Hewlett-Packard. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Hewlett-Packard Splits Again: But What About the Labs?". IEEE Spectrum: Technology, Engineering, and Science News. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- "Hewlett Packard Labs". Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
- "HP Labs". HP Inc.
- "Former HP Labs directors". HP. Archived from the original on 2014-08-03.
- "Worldwide sites". Hewlett-Packard. Retrieved 2007-05-15.