HP Pavilion (computer)
HP Pavilion is a line of personal computers produced by Hewlett-Packard and introduced in 1995. The Pavilion competes with Acer Aspire, Dell Inspiron and Toshiba Satellite. The name is applied to both desktops and laptops for the Home and Home Office product range.
When HP merged with Compaq in 2002, it took over Compaq's existing naming rights agreement. As a result, HP sells both HP and Compaq-branded machines.
- 1 History
- 2 Notebooks
- 3 Desktops
- 4 References
- 5 External links
In 1995, The HP Pavilion PC marks the company's introduction into the home-computing market. Dave Packard publishes The HP Way, a book that chronicles the rise of HP and gives insight into its business practices, culture and management style. HP produces a low-cost, high-speed infrared transceiver that allows wireless data exchange in a range of portable computing applications such as phones, computers, printers, cash registers, ATMs, digital cameras and more.
The first HP Pavilion PC
The HP Pavilion 5030 was technically HP's second multimedia PC designed specifically for the home market, the first called HP Multimedia PC Model Numbers 6100, 6140S and 6170S. Pavilion went on to become a popular model. Its specifications included a quad-speed CD-ROM drive, Altec Lansing speakers, software for online service access and Microsoft Windows 95. This entry-level model featured a 75 MHz Intel Pentium processor, 8 MB RAM and an 850 MB hard drive.
HP produces eight notebook models: HP Pavilion, 2 under HDX, 4 under HP Mini, 1 under TouchSmart, 3 under G series, and 1 under Compaq Presario. These are customizable in the US only. A variety of different models with different setups are available in other countries.
Current notebook models
- 17.3 inch : ENVY 17 3D / ENVY 17 / dv7t / G72t / g7
- 15.6 inch : Compaq CQ62z, / HDX16t / dv6t / dv6z / G62t / G62m / g6 / m6 / 15-p077tx / 15-p001tx / 15-p005x / 15-p073tx / 15-p045tx / 15-p085tx / 15-r022tx / 15-r014tx / 15-r022tx / 15-d103tx / 15-p210tx/ 15-p209tx/15-p029tx/ 15-p028tx / 15-p207tx
- 14.5 inch : ENVY 14
- 14.1 inch : dv4tse / dv4t
- 14.0 inch : dm4t / dm4x / G4t
- 13.3 inch : dm3t /[not(working)(special)features] Voodoo Envy 133
- 12.1 inch : tm2t
- 11.6 inch : dm1z
- 10.1 inch : HP Mini 210 / HP Mini 110 Mi / HP Mini 110 XP / / Mini 1000 Vivienne Tam
Previous notebook models
- 20.1 inch : HDX9000
- 18.4 inch : HDX18t / dv8t
- 17.0 inch : dv7 / g70t / dv9000 / dv8000 / zd8000 / zd7000 / dv9700
- 15.6 inch : Compaq CQ60 / dv6zae (Artist Edition 2) / G60t
- 15.4 inch : dv5 / dv6500tse (Special Edition) / dv6000 / dv5000 / dv4000 / zv6000 / zv5000 / zx5000 / ze5000 / ze4000 / zt3000
- 15.0 inch : ze2000 / ze1000 / zt1000
- 14.3 inch : HP Pavilion dv 1658
- 14.1 inch : dv4z / dv2800tae (Artist Edition) / dv2500tse (Special Edition) / dv2000 / dv1000
- 13.3 inch : dv3t / dv3z / dv3500t
- 12.1 inch : / TouchSmart tx2z / dv2z / tx1000z tablet PC / tx2000z Tablet PC / tx2500z Tablet PC
- 10.1 inch : Mini 1000 Mi / Mini 1000 XP / Mini 1000 Mobile Broadband Wireless
- 8.9 inch : Mini 1000 Mi / Mini 1000 XP / Mini 1000 Mobile Broadband Wireless
Model number suffixes
The two or three letter suffix on the model number indicates special information like country or language (dv----xx). The following chart describes each suffix.
- t : Intel processor
- z : AMD processor
- ae : Artist Edition (Artist Edition Imprint)
- bw : Broadband Wireless Series
- sb : Small Business Series
- se : Special Edition ("Intensity" dv4tse, "Renewal" dv5tse, Special Edition Imprint)
- qe : Quad Edition (special quad core processor, as dv7tqe-6100 CTO w/ Intel i7 Quad Core)
The following suffixes corresponds to the region where the notebook is sold.
- us : United States
- ca : Canada
- la : Latin America
- br : Brazil
- ea / ee / (e + a letter) : Europe / Middle East
- eo / so : Scandinavia
- ec / sc : Czech Republic and Slovakia
- au / ax : Asia / Australia - AMD processor (AU = AMD + UMA, AX = AMD + Discrete *UMA and Discrete refers to graphics *)
- tu / tx : Asia / Australia - Intel processor (TU = Intel + UMA, TX = Intel + Discrete)
- ap : Asia Pacific
Other suffixes include nr, cl, and wm.
- nr : No Rebate
- cl : Club Model (These models are available only through some clubs like Costco and Sam's Club)
- wm : Walmart Model
- dx : Best Buy Model
The HP Pavilion HDX is only sold with Intel processors, but it doesn't end with the suffix "t". It has no suffix.
The HP Pavilion tx tablet PC series are currently sold with AMD processors only, but they still end with the suffix "z".
The HP Imprint notebook finish is a high-gloss developed in cooperation with Nissha Printing Co. (Japan). This was used for the following models:
- Wave : dv9000 / dv6000 / dv2000 / tx1000
- Digi Code : Compaq v3000
- Radiance : dv9700 / dv9500 / dv6700 / dv6500 / dv2700 / dv2500
- Trace : Compaq V6700TX
- Influx : dv6700tse / dv6500tse / dv2842se
- Dragon : HDX9000
- Verve : dv2700tse
- Echo : tx2000z / tx2500z
- Thrive : dv6800tse
- Artist Edition : dv2800tae / dv2890nr / dv2990nr
HP Imprint 2
- Meshy: dv7 / dv6 / dv5 / dv4 / dv3000
- Unity: Compaq CQ20
- Glossy Black Finish: Compaq CQ70 / Compaq CQ50 / Compaq CQ40
- Fluid: HDX18t / HDX16t
- Intensity: dv4tse
- Renewal: dv5tse
- Intersect: dv7 / dv5 / dv4 / dv3500 / dv3
- Swirl: HP Mini 1000 Mi / HP Mini 1000 XP / HP Mini 1000 Mobile Broadband Wireless
- Peony: HP Mini 1000 Vivienne Tam
- Reaction: HP TouchSmart tx2z
- Moonlight: dv7 / dv4 / dv2z / dv6
- Espresso: dv7 / dv4 / dv2z / dv6
Notebook artwork competitions
HP held a contest in conjunction with MTV to help design a special edition HP notebook case artwork. The contest went from September 5, 2007 to October 17, 2007 and over 8,500 designs from 112 countries were submitted. "Asian Odyssey" by João Oliveira of Porto, Portugal, was chosen as the winner of the competition and featured on the HP dv2800tae Series Notebook. In another competition, “Engine Room”, a design by Hisako Sakihama, from Japan was chosen to appear on a HP notebook.
HP developed Linux based software which could be booted quickly ( 12s ) to play music or DVDs called QuickPlay for the dv series of notebooks, quickplay also incorporated multimedia features, such as pause playback from the included remote control, within Windows. Later versions that shipped with Vista did not have the boot option but retained the multimedia features.
QuickPlay software has been discontinued by HP will be replaced with HP MediaSmart Software that will be installed on all HP Desktops and Notebooks from 2009 onwards.
Many notebook owners experience hardware failure in various Pavilion models due to overheating. The first symptom is usually a disappearing Wi-Fi. Later failure of the graphics system and booting problems. HP does acknowledge this as a "hardware issue with certain HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000" notebooks, which is eligible for free repair. Other users recommend a "resoldering" of the nVidia GPU on the motherboard due to the overheating causing the solder on the built-in GPU to liquify.
- In 2009, HP had to recall over 70,000 batteries that were defective as a result of overheating.
HP offers about 30 customizable desktops; of these, 5 are standard HP Pavilion, 4 are Slimline, 6 are High Performance Edition (HPE), 5 are "Phoenix" HPE Gaming editions*, 5 are Touchsmart, and 5 are All-In-One.
Current desktop models
- HP Pavilion : p7m, p7z, p7t, p7xt, p7qe
- HP Pavilion Slimline : s5m, s5t, s5z, s5xt
- HP Pavilion HPE (High Performance Edition) : h8m, h8t, h8z, h8xt, h8qe, h8se
- HP Pavilion HPE (High Performance Edition) Phoenix (Gaming): h9-1100z, h9-1120t, hp-1150t, h9-1170t, h9-1135, h9-1200ex *(not customizable)
- HP Touchsmart PC : 310z, 610z, 610t, 610xt, 610 Quad
- HP Omni Series (All-In-One) : 100z, 100t, 200t, 200xt, 200 Quad
Past desktop models
(Note that this is not a complete list, but a list of more recent models.)
- HP Pavilion : a1740n a255c, a6560t, a6560z, a6510t, a6500z, a6460t, a6450z, a6410t, a6400z, a6250z, a6250t, a6210z, a6205t, a6200t, a6600z, a6610t, a6660t, a6660z, a6700z, a6750f, p6300z, p6310t, p6350z, p6370t, p6380t
- a000 series - Panther / Jaguar
- a1000 series - Mojave / Gobi
- a6000 series - Venus
- HP Pavilion Slimline : s3600t, s3600z, s3500t, s3500z, s3400t, s3400z, s3200t, s3200z, s3700f, s3700z, s3710t, s3750t, s5305z, s5310t, s5350z, s5370t, s5380t, s5730f
- HP Pavilion Media Center : a1330n, a1600n, m8300, m8100y, m8200n
- HP Pavilion Elite/HPE : m9350f, m9300t, m9300z, m9200t, m9200z, m9000t, m9000z, d5000z, d5000t, d5100t, m9400t, m9400z, d5200t, e9300z, HPE 110t, HPE 150t, HPE 170t, HPE 180t, HPE 190t
- HP Pavilion Ultimate : d4999t, d4999z
- HP Touchsmart : iq770t, iq772t, IQ504t, IQ506t, IQ804t, 300z, 600t, 600xt, 600 Quad
- HP Pavilion All In One/Omni : MS220z, 200t
Model number suffixes
The suffix on the model number, if present, indicates special information such as processor or country. The following chart describes each suffix.
Two-letter country codes such as
- us : United States
- ca : Canada
- ea : Europe/Africa
Slimline overheating problems
- "HP Timeline — 1990s". hp.com. Retrieved 2007-03-21.
- "HP Pavilion 5030, 1995". hp.com. Retrieved 2007-03-21.
- "Take Action. Make Art". www.mtv-tama.com. Archived from the original on 2007-10-11. Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- "HP, MTV Announce Winner of "Take Action. Make Art." Global Notebook PC Design Competition". www.hp.com. Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- "HP, AMD and MTV Announce Winner of "Engine Room" Notebook Design Contest". www.hp.com. Retrieved 2009-02-07.
- Official HP QuickPlay support page
- "HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement". Archived from the original on 2009-02-21. Retrieved 2010-06-03.
- HP corporate homepage
- HP Pavilion online store
- Important information about HP Computers that were built after 2003 regarding missing Recovery Discs-Windows XP
- Important information about HP Computers that were built after 2003 regarding missing Recovery Discs-Windows Vista
- Service manuals for HP Pavilion notebooks - list of maintenance and service guides for HP Pavilion notebooks.