|Public limited company|
FTSE 100 Component
|Headquarters||Newbury, United Kingdom|
|Products||Enterprise application integration and management software|
|Revenue||US$1,380.7 million (2017)|
|US$390.7 million (2017)|
|US$157.8 million (2017)|
Number of employees
Micro Focus International plc is a multinational software and information technology business based in Newbury, Berkshire, England. The firm provides software and consultancy. The company is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
The company was founded in 1976. In 1981, it became the first company to win the Queen's Award for Industry purely for developing a software product. The product was CIS COBOL, a standard-compliant COBOL implementation for microcomputers.
In 1998, the company acquired Intersolv Inc, an applications enablement business, for US$534 million and the combined business was renamed Merant. The same year the company acquired XDB Systems with their XDB Enterprise Server relational database management system. In 2001 the business was demerged from Merant with help from Golden Gate Capital Partners and once again became Micro Focus. It was listed on the London Stock Exchange in 2005.
In July 2008, the company acquired the privately held Austin, Texas-based Liant Software Corporation for its RM/COBOL and PL/I product lines. Liant Software owned the assets of Ryan-McFarland Corporation, a Micro Focus competitor in the 1980s.
In 2011, the company alleged that the New South Wales Police Force and other agencies were using 16,500 copies of its ViewNow software on various computers when police and other agencies were only ever entitled to 6,500 licences. The group initially alleged A$10 million in damages but later increased this to A$12 million after reviewing the results of a court-ordered audit of the police force's computer systems. The police force maintained during the court proceedings that it had paid for a site licence that entitled it to unlimited installations of the software for all of its officers. Despite this, it settled the matter out of court in 2012, for an undisclosed sum. The other agencies previously settled the matter out of court, also for undisclosed sums.
In December 2013, Micro Focus acquired the Orbix, Orbacus and Artix software product lines from Progress Software. These market-leading implementations of the CORBA standard were originally developed by IONA Technologies.
On 15 September 2014, Micro Focus announced that it would acquire The Attachmate Group for US$1.2 billion in shares, which will give it ownership of the Attachmate, NetIQ, Novell, and SUSE product lines. Attachmate's parent company Wizard Parent LLC—consisting of the investment groups Elliott Management Corporation, Francisco Partners, Golden Gate Capital, and Thoma Bravo, will hold a 40% stake in Micro Focus post-acquisition.
In 2015, Micro Focus acquired Authasas, which produces authentication middleware.
On 4 October 2016, Micro Focus announced it had acquired Gwava Inc., an enterprise information archiving business.
On 19 March 2018, Micro Focus shares fell 55% to 849p after the company warned of a sharp fall in revenue; its chief executive, Chris Hsu, resigned.
Liant Software Corporation
Liant Software Corporation was founded in 1983.
This company was an outgrowth of the 3-way partnership named Digitek and a successor named Ryan-McFarland Corporation, which was sold to an Australian company named Austec. They sold it to a company named Language Processors, Inc - later renamed Liant Software Corporation. The latter was acquired by Micro Focus International. Liant was still advertising its Open PL/I product in 1995.
- "Preliminary Results 2017" (PDF). Micro Focus International plc. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Micro Focus". Statista. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Micro Focus: History". Archived from the original on 12 September 2008.
- "Software industry receives royal treatment". New Scientist. 90 (1251): 289. 30 April 1981. ISSN 0262-4079.
- "FindArticles.com - CBSi".
- Aggarwal, Vinod (2001). Winning in Asia, European Style: Market and Nonmarket Strategies for Success. New York: Palgrave. p. 146. ISBN 978-1-349-63239-8.
- "City & Corporate: FD wins Micro Focus equity listing bid - PR Week". brandrepublic.com. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- Dominic Elliott. "Micro Focus IPO scrapes home after price cut". efinancialnews.com. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "Micro Focus completes acquisition of NetManage, Inc". Reuters. 18 June 2008. Retrieved 11 October 2009.[permanent dead link]
- "Micro Focus buys Liant, PL/I, modernization capabilities picked up". InfoWorld. 11 July 2008. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Micro Focus buys Borland Software for $75 million". InfoWorld. 6 May 2009.
- "Numis lands record M&A win with $9bn tech tie-up". Investment Banking. Retrieved 21 March 2018.
- "NSW hit with $1.8m legal bill after piracy case". SMH. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Micro Focus International plc - Acquisition of Orbix, Artix and Orbacus software product lines for $15m". Micro Focus International plc. 24 December 2012. Archived from the original on 4 November 2013.
- "Micro Focus to Buy Attachmate in $1.2 Billion Share Deal". Bloomberg. 15 September 2014. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Micro Focus to Buy Attachmate in $1.2 Billion Deal". The Wall Street Journal. 15 September 2014. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "International acquisition of Authasas strengthens security cluster in West Holland". InnovationQuarter. Archived from the original on 4 November 2016. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- "Micro Focus International plc - Micro Focus Announces Intent to Acquire Serena Software, Inc". Micro Focus International plc. 22 March 2016.
- "Micro Focus Completes Acquisition of Serena Software, Inc". Micro Focus International plc. 2 May 2016.
- "Micro Focus shares lifted by surprise first-half revenue rise". Reuters. 14 December 2016.
- "Micro Focus Announces Intent to Merge with Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Software Business Segment". Micro Focus International plc. 7 September 2016.
- "Micro Focus Completes Merger with HPE Software Business, Creating One of World's Largest Pure-play Software Companies". Micro Focus International plc. 1 September 2017. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "Micro Focus Acquires GWAVA, Inc". PR Newswire. 4 October 2016. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "UK tech giant Micro Focus halves in value as shares crash". BBC News. 19 March 2018.
- Burton, Graham (2 July 2018). "Micro Focus to sell SUSE Linux to private equity firm for US$2.5bn". Computing. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- "Proposed sale of the SUSE Business". otp.investis.com. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Liant Software Corp".
Liant Software Corp was founded in 1983.
- "Open PL/I". Information Week. May 29, 1995. p. 77.
- "code comments archive".
Don Ryan went on with Dave McFarland, also from Digitek, to found Ryan-McFarland
- A. Marani (1990). "Ryan-McFarland and Microsoft". ACS Publications.
Two FORTRAN Compilers for Microcomputers: Ryan-McFarland and Microsoft ...
- "RM Cobol, Fortran". InfoWorld.
Similarly, for the past 20 years Ryan-McFarland Corp. has offered its customers standard Cobol and Fortran compilers and tools.
- "TRS-80 Manual: Compiler BASIC v2.4 (19xx)(Ryan McFarland-Tandy)".