|Studio album by Roy Harper|
|Recorded||March 1975 at Abbey Road Studios, London|
|Genre||Folk rock, progressive folk, folk baroque|
|Label||Harvest SHSP 4046
Chrysalis CHR 1105
Science Friction HUCD019
|Roy Harper chronology|
US album cover
HQ is the eighth studio album by English folk / rock singer-songwriter and guitarist Roy Harper. It was first released in 1975 by Harvest Records. In the United States the album was released under the title When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease, which is also the name of the LP's most popularly known track.
Harper considered HQ to be "...probably the best record that I have made to date" and "...a great album made at one of the best times of my life" Originally the album was to be called Blood From a Stone, but it was changed to avoid unwanted comparisons with Dylan's Blood on the Tracks.
The album features David Gilmour and John Paul Jones, playing lead guitar and bass respectively, on "The Game" and The Grimethorpe Colliery Band on "When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease", one of Harper's best-known songs.
The album's artwork was created by Hipgnosis. Of the artwork Harper stated:
In reply to walking on water I should just like to say that the album sleeve design for HQ was given completely to Hipgnosis. When they presented me with the finished product I laughed and ok'd it on the spot. The picture was taken by Po Powell on the Isle of Skye. I have still not been to the Isle of Skye.
In 2012 the album was Digitally remixed and re-sculpted, packaged in a 24-page case bound booklet with new pictures, prose, poetry and a new sleeve design.
All tracks credited to Roy Harper
- "The Game (Parts 1–5)" – 13:42
- "The Spirit Lives" – 4:14
- "Grown Ups Are Just Silly Children" – 2:55
- "Referendum (Legend)" – 3:49
- "Forget Me Not" – 2:24
- "Hallucinating Light" – 6:24
- "When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease" – 7:13
Bonus tracks on 1995 CD reissue
- "The Spirit Lives" (Early Mix, 23 March 1975)
- "When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease" (Live in Exeter, 31 October 1977)
- "Hallucinating Light" (7" Single version)
- Roy Harper – vocals, guitar
- David Gilmour – guitar on "The Game"
- John Paul Jones – bass on "The Game"
- Steve Broughton – drums on "The Game"
- Chris Spedding – guitar
- Bill Bruford – drums
- Dave Cochran – bass
- The Grimethorpe Colliery Band – brass on "When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease"
- Roy Harper Official Site
- Roy Harper Official Site
- "Hats off to Harper". Dave Burnham. August 1994. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Miles, Barry; Andy Mabbett (1994). Pink Floyd the visual documentary ([Updated ed.] ed.). London :: Omnibus,. ISBN 0-7119-4109-2.
- Roy Harper Fan Site Discography