HSBC Bank Australia
|Industry||Finance and Insurance|
|Tony Cripps, CEO|
HSBC Bank Australia Limited (formerly the HongkongBank of Australia Limited) was granted a banking licence in 1986 having been established as HSBC Finance Company Limited in 1965. It is part of the worldwide HSBC Group. HSBC Bank Australia is a leading[dubious ] international bank in Australia, offering a full range of banking products and services to the retail, commercial, corporate and institutional sectors.
HSBC Bank Australia offers a full range of financial services through a network of 25 branches as well as via direct channels. The 25th HSBC branch was opened in North Sydney on 20 April 2010 by the Hon. Joe Hockey, former Member for North Sydney and Treasurer. The new North Sydney branch marks the start of HSBC's expansion of its Australian branch network, with media reports suggesting it will open up to 100 new branches in Australia.
HSBC was granted a banking licence in Australia in 1986, after the Australian federal government changed the rules to allow foreign banks into the country. HSBC was not the first foreign bank to enter Australia, the first was Chase-AMP, but HSBC was one of the first foreign entrants into the business banking sector.
- Launched Commercial Financial Services
- Launched Personal Financial Services
- Began to be profitable after several years of losses
- Discount home loans introduced in Australia
- Telephone banking and credit cards introduced
- Established HSBC InvestDirect (Australia) Limited
- Financial planning services introduced in Australia
- Acquired NRMA Building Society Limited
- Internet banking for personal customers launched in Australia
- Sold Australian asset management business to Challenger Financial Services
- Established Global Investments business
- Banking in Australia
- HSBC holdings plc (direct parent company)
- List of banks
- List of banks in Australia
- List of banks in Oceania
- Reserve Bank of Australia
- Australian Prudential Regulation Authority
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission
- Barry Williams (December 2006). "Foreign Banks: What Do We Know". Economic Papers, Special Edition. Economic Society of Australia.
- Dr Diana Beal (2002), Overview of Financial Services Post-Deregulation
|This bank and insurance-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|