The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article contains instructions, advice, or how-to content. (April 2015)
Internet Explorer compatibility and version usage
Prior to version 9 of Internet Explorer there was little or no support for HTML5 elements and other HTML5 features.
Internet Explorer had 30% usage share of web browsers in 2012, so this was urgently needed at a given time. Originally, within the Internet Explorer percentage, most of the usage was for version 9, with version 8 holding the second-highest and version 7 the third-highest value. Within that situation, it was important to ensure that web pages function correctly in Internet Explorer. HTML5Shiv allows versions of Internet Explorer prior to version 9 to recognize the HTML5 tags and allows them to be styled using CSS. Today, IE's usage share is 5%-10% with most of those IE users using IE9 or later, thus rendering HTML5 Shiv largely irrelevant.
Using HTML5 Shiv on an HTML5 web page is simple; you may do so with or without installation of the library. Below is an example of how to conditionally include HTML5 Shiv only for Internet Explorer browsers less-than version 9. The script should be included within the
<head> element of the page, after any stylesheets:
<!DOCTYPE html> <html> <head> <!--[if lt IE 9]> <script src="//cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/html5shiv/3.7.3/html5shiv.min.js"></script> <![endif]--> </head> <body> </body> </html>
See Cdnjs for the change log and recent version updates of the CDN version. You may also use the GitHub repository to download the most up-to-date version of HTM5Shiv and include it directly in your project directories.
- HTML5Shiv Code Repository
- Resig, John (2008-01-24), John Resig's early discussion of the shiv, John Resig
- Chart overview of browser HTML5 and CSS3 compatibility
- HTML5, Older Browsers and the Shiv
- Irish, Paul (2011-05-24), The history of the HTML5 shiv, Paul Irish
- Internet Explorer 6-9 HTML5 and CSS Compatibility Overview
- Browser Usage by Version Feb 2012 to January 2013
- Browser Usage by Version Feb 2016 to January 2017
- Use HTML5Shiv without installing via CDN (cdnjs)
- HTML5Shiv GitHub Code Repository