HTMS Krabi on Sydney Harbour in October 2013
|Launched:||3 December 2011|
|Commissioned:||26 August 2013|
|Class and type:||Modified River-class patrol vessel|
|Displacement:||2,000 t (2,000 long tons; 2,200 short tons)|
|Length:||90.5 m (296 ft 11 in)|
|Beam:||13.5 m (44 ft 3 in)|
|Speed:||25 kn (46 km/h)|
|Range:||5,500 nmi (10,200 km)|
|Aircraft carried:||One H145M helicopter|
|Aviation facilities:||20 meter flight deck|
HTMS Krabi (OPV-551) is an offshore patrol vessel (OPV) of the Royal Thai Navy. She is a modified river-class patrol vessel, and was built by Mahidol Adulyadej Naval Dockyard, with design and technology transfer support from BAE Systems Surface Ships. Additional construction took place at the Royal Thai Navy Mahidol Dockyard in Sattahip.
The contract for the construction of Krabi was signed in June 2009, and construction began in August 2010. Krabi was launched on 3 December 2011 in a ceremony attended by Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. After launch, she began outfitting, and is expected to enter service in 2013. The Thai Navy plans to use Krabi to patrol Thailand's Economic Exclusion Zone (EEZ), as well as for fishery and natural resource protection and disaster relief.
Krabi is 91 meters in length, and carries an Oto Melara 76 mm main gun and two MSI 30mm secondary guns for primary defense, as well as machine guns. It is able to operate an AgustaWestland AW139 helicopter flying from a 20 metres (66 ft) flight deck. Her top speed is expected to be over 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph), and she is powered by two MAN 16v 28/33D diesel engines, making about 7.2 megawatts (9,700 hp). She is equipped with a Thales Variant surveillance radar, a Thales Lirod Mk2 fire control radar and the Thales Tacticos combat management system.
In October 2013 Krabi participated in the International Fleet Review 2013 in Sydney, Australia. In May 2016 the Royal Thai Navy said it is planning to deploy its new H145M helicopters from HTMS Krabi in service with 202 Squadron.
- "Offshore Patrol Vessels". www.baesystems.com. BAE Systems. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "RTN to deploy H145M helicopters from Pattani, modified River-class patrol vessels - IHS Jane's 360". janes.com. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "Thailand to build offshore patrol vessels". Baird Maritime. 25 August 2009. Archived from the original on 7 December 2011. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- "เรือหลวงกระบี่ เรือ OPV ลำใหม่ ฝีมือคนไทย". Thai Armed Force. 30 November 2011. Archived from the original on 21 December 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "Royal Thai Navy Launches Offshore Patrol Vessel Designed by BAE Systems". Shipbuilding Tribune. 6 December 2011. Archived from the original on 7 December 2011. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HTMS Krabi.|