Frigate Naresuan (FFG 421)
|Class and type:||Naresuan-class frigate|
|Builder:||China State Shipbuilding Corporation, Shanghai|
|Commissioned:||15 December 1994|
|Motto:||Valiant, Brave, Fight for the Nation. (องอาจ กล้าหาญ สู้เพื่อชาติ)|
|Status:||In service of 2013|
|Class and type:||Naresuan-class|
|Displacement:||2,985 tons full load|
|Propulsion:||1 × General Electric LM2500+ gas turbine and 2 × MTU 20V1163 TB83 diesel engines, driving two shafts with controllable pitch propellers in CODOG configuration.|
|Speed:||32 knots (59 km/h) max|
|Range:||4000 nmi(7408 km) at 18 kn|
|Boats & landing |
|Sensors and |
|Electronic warfare |
|Aircraft carried:||1 x Super Lynx 300|
HTMS (His Thai Majesty's Ship) Naresuan (FFG 421) (Thai: นเรศวร), commissioned in 1995, is a modified version of the Chinese-made Type 053 frigate, corporate designed between Royal Thai Navy and China but built by the China State Shipbuilding Corporation in Shanghai. Her sister ship, HTMS Taksin was delivered in November 1995. The ships came at 2 billion baht each, less than the 8 billion baht claimed price tag for Western-built frigates.
The Thai Navy complained of the poor quality of the ships. The ship's damage control system was very limited, with very basic fire suppression systems. It was claimed that if the ship's hull was breached, the ship would be quickly lost to flooding. The Thai Navy had to spend considerable time and effort to correct some of these issues.
On 3 June 2011, Saab announced that it was awarded a contract for the upgrading of the two Naresuan class frigates. The scope of the upgrade will include Saab's 9LV MK4 combat management system, Sea Giraffe AMB, CEROS 200 fire control radar, EOS 500 electro-optics system and data link systems for communications with the newly acquired Royal Thai Air Force Erieye surveillance aircraft.
On 8 August 2012, DSCA announced Thailand's intention to acquire the Evolved Sea Sparrow missile and associated equipment to upgrade the frigates and a Letter of Offer and Acceptance was signed with Raytheon on 14 January 2013.
- "NARESUAN (TYPE 25T) (FFG)". GlobalSecurity.org. Archived from the original on 25 September 2006. Retrieved 7 July 2008.
- "Saab receives order from Thailand regarding the upgrading of combat management system and fire control systems". Saab. 3 June 2011. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 3 June 2011.
- "Thailand – Evolved SEASPARROW Missiles (ESSM)". DSCA. 8 August 2012. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 21 July 2019.
- "Royal Thai Navy joins nations using Evolved SeaSparrow Missile". Raytheon. 14 January 2013. Archived from the original on 8 May 2017. Retrieved 21 July 2019.
- "Thailand fired ESSM from its Chinese-made Type 053 frigate for first time". 30 August 2015. Archived from the original on 18 October 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2019.
|This Thailand-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|