Aerial photograph of area where Moyle Ballycronan More HVDC converter station is. It is situated left-up the power station
(Scotland & N. Ireland)
|From||Auchencrosh, South Ayrshire|
|To||Ballycronan More, County Antrim|
|Type of current||HVDC|
|Total length||63.5 km (39.5 mi)|
|Power rating||500 MW (Currently restricted to 250 MW)|
|DC Voltage||250 kV|
|Number of poles||2|
The HVDC Moyle Interconnector is the HVDC link between Auchencrosh, South Ayrshire in Scotland and Ballycronan More, County Antrim in Northern Ireland, which went into service in 2001. It is owned and operated by Mutual Energy. Work is currently being carried out by Nexans (Norway) with the aid of Morrows (N.I) and Romac Civil Engineering (N.I) to replace the two existing cables between Scotland and Northern Ireland.
The HVDC Moyle has capacity of 500 MW. It consists of two monopolar 250 kV DC cables with a transmission capacity of 250 MW each. The converter stations are completely equipped with light triggered thyristors.
The converter station at Auchencrosh is connected via a 64 kilometres (40 mi) single-circuit 275 kV overhead three-phase AC line, which is installed on delta-type pylon with Coylton substation where the connection with the high voltage grid of Great Britain takes place. As line connection a 63.5-kilometre (39.5 mi) long monopolar cable is used, of which 55 kilometres (34 mi) are implemented as submarine cables.
Mutual Energy is a mutual company which manages energy assets for Northern Ireland's energy consumers.
As of October 2011[update], the interconnector was out of service, repair efforts were being made, and the cable became operational again with 450 MW in February 2012. However, further faults meant that a major part of the interconnector had to be taken out of service until it could be augmented with additional cables, whose laying Mutual Energy estimates will be completed in 2016 or 2017. Until then, the interconnector's capacity is reduced to 250 MW, half of its design capacity.
Intraday capacity trading is not available, but is being discussed.
|Auchencrosh Static Inverter Plant|
|Cable enters sea|
|Cable leaves sea|
|Ballycronan More Static Inverter Plant|
- "HVDC – High Voltage Direct Current Power Transmission" (PDF). Siemens. p. 22.
- "Moyle Interconnector fault" (Press release). Mutual Energy. August 26, 2011.
- "Update on Moyle cable faults repair" (Press release). Mutual Energy. October 18, 2011.
- "Update on Moyle repair progress" (Press release). Mutual Energy. February 20, 2012.
- "Decision on long-term repair of Moyle Interconnector cables". Mutual Energy. 13 May 2013. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Charging for interconnector capacity allocated intra-day in SEM" (PDF). February 2012.
- "The Moyle Interconnector". Mutual Energy.
- "High Voltage Direct Current Transmission - Proven Technology for Power Exchange" (PDF). Siemens. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-10-30.
- Tech-wise Services. "Moyle Interconnector" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2005-02-18.
- "Map of Moyle Interconnector". System Operator for Northern Ireland (SONI). Archived from the original on 2012-04-15.
- "History and Development of the Moyle Interconnector". Mutual Energy.