HWA is responsible for managing the AMG Mercedes team in the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters (DTM). HWA AG was founded in 1999, and takes its name from Hans-Werner Aufrecht, who established AMG in 1967. Towards the end of 1998 Aufrecht sold a majority interest in AMG to DaimlerChrysler AG. As part of the process, the motor racing department and parts of the customised vehicles construction business were spun off and transferred to HWA AG.
HWA, currently managed by Thomaz Aufrecht, develops and builds the DTM racing cars and engines used by the HWA Team, and customer teams also competing in the DTM, such as Persson Motorsport and Mücke Motorsport. They also develop and build engines for Formula Three racing cars, based on Mercedes-Benz production engines.
It was announced on 9 May 2018 that HWA will join Formula E for the 2018-19 season. Their drivers will be Gary Paffett, their reigning DTM champion and former McLaren Formula One driver Stoffel Vandoorne.
* – Season still in progress.
- About HWA
- "HWA AG join the Formula E grid for Season 5 – Formula E". www.fiaformulae.com. 9 May 2018. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- Kalinauckas, Alex (8 October 2018). "HWA announces Paffett as first FE driver, reveals 2018/19 livery". Autosport.com. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- "Gary Paffett wins DTM title in spite of René Rast's six-pack". DTM.com. 14 October 2018. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- Edmondson, Laurence (15 October 2018). "Vandoorne confirms Formula E move in 2019". ESPN.com. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HWA Team.|