HaMerotz LaMillion 1
|המירוץ למיליון |
|Season run||February 5 – June 11, 2009|
|Filming dates||November 2008 – December 2008,|
May 30, 2009
|No. of episodes||20 (22 including recap)|
|Winning team||Shay Kahana & Guy Osadon|
|No. of legs||10|
|Distance traveled||42,000 km (26,000 mi)|
HaMerotz LaMillion (Hebrew: המרוץ למיליון, lit. The Race to the Million) is an Israeli reality television game show based on the American series, The Amazing Race. The first installment of the series features 10 teams of two with a pre-existing relationship in a race around the world to win ₪1,000,000.
Business partners Shay Kahana & Guy Osadon are the winners of this season.
- 1 Production
- 2 Results
- 3 Prizes
- 4 Race summary
- 4.1 Leg 1 (Israel → South Africa)
- 4.2 Leg 2 (South Africa)
- 4.3 Leg 3 (South Africa → Vietnam)
- 4.4 Leg 4 (Vietnam)
- 4.5 Leg 5 (Vietnam → Japan)
- 4.6 Leg 6 (Japan → Macau, China)
- 4.7 Leg 7 (Macau, China → Hong Kong, China)
- 4.8 Leg 8 (Hong Kong, China → Australia)
- 4.9 Leg 9 (Australia → New Zealand)
- 4.10 Leg 10 (New Zealand)
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Differing from most of the other franchises of the series, the last leg of the race was not filmed back-to-back with the previous legs. It was filmed on 30 May 2009, months after the penultimate leg had been filmed; during the broadcast of the actual show. The theme song was different than the original US version theme song, and it was in the style of Israel.
On December 20, 2009, Reshet announced that it had cancelled the show and that a second season would not be made. However, on September 2010, Reshet reconsidered, and announced that a second season would be made.
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Note that this table is not necessarily reflective of all content broadcast on television due to inclusion or exclusion of some data. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks|
|גיא & שי||Guy & Shay||Business Partners||7th||2nd||2nd||5th||4th||1st||1stƒ||2nd⊃||2nd||1st||Guy 5, Shay 5|
|מיה & עמיחי||Maya & Amichay||Dating||1st||1st||3rd||1st||1st||3rd||4th⊂||3rd||3rd||2nd||Maya 4, Amichay 6|
|תום & גיל||Tom & Gil||Stepdaughter/Stepfather||5th||4th||4th||4th||6th||2nd||2nd||4th3||1st||3rd||Tom 5, Gil 5|
|מיכל & רן||Michal & Ran||Married with 3 Children||3rd||3rd||5th||2nd||2nd||5th||3rd⊃||1st||4th||Michal 4, Ran 5|
|הדס & ענבל||Hadas & Inbal||Friends||4th||8th||7th||3rd||3rd1||4th||5th||5th⊂4||Hadas 4, Inbal 4|
|אליאנה & יעל||Eliana & Yael||Importer & Fashion Designer||2nd||6th||6th||6th||5th||6th||Eliana 3, Yael 3|
|חנה & מרגלית||Hannah & Margalit||Kibbutz Members||9th||9th||1stƒ||7th>||7th2||Hannah 2, Margalit 1|
|אלן & ענבל||Alen & Inbal||Exes||8th||5th||8th||8th<||Alen 2, Inbal 2|
|מאור & אשר||Maor & Asher||Childhood Friends||10th||7th||9th||Maor 0, Asher 3|
|לירן & ילנה||Liran & Elena||Beauty Queens||6th||10th||Liran 1, Elena 1|
- A red team placement indicates that the team was eliminated.
- A green ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue.
- A blue team placement indicates that the team was the last to arrive at a Pit Stop in a non-elimination leg of the race.
- An underlined blue placement indicates that the team was forced to relinquish all of their money and belongings (except for passports and the clothes on their back) for the remainder of the race. In addition, they were not allotted money for the next leg and were not allowed to collect money until the next leg started for them.
- An italicized blue placement indicates that the team was "Marked for Elimination"; if the team did not place 1st in the next leg, they would receive a 30-minute penalty.
- A yellow > indicates that the team chose to use the Yield; < indicates the team who received it.
- A brown ⊃ indicates that the team chose to use a U-Turn; ⊂ indicates the team who received it.
- ^ Hadas & Inbal left the Pit Stop in Vũng Tàu in last place at the start of Leg 5 because they accidentally slept in.
- ^ Hannah & Margalit removed from the race because Margalit was hospitalized due to a severe abdominal infection that she began suffering from earlier in Leg 5.
- ^ Tom & Gil initially arrived 4th, but took a taxi instead of walking to the Pit Stop. They were forced to go back to the last clue box and then walk back to the Pit Stop. This did not affect their placement.
- ^ Hadas & Inbal had been "marked for elimination;" however, since they arrived last, they were eliminated without being issued the 30 minute penalty.
- Leg 1 – A stay at an authentic hunting lodge during the Pit Stop, while all other teams slept in tents.
- Leg 2 – A stay at a luxurious suite during the Pit Stop, where delicacies and wine would be served.
- Leg 3 – A massage for each team member during the Pit Stop.
- Leg 4 – A Vietnamese meal served during the Pit Stop, which the winners could invite another team to join them for.
- Leg 5 – A traditional Japanese massage for each team member at local hot springs during the Pit Stop.
- Leg 6 – A stay at a luxurious suite in the Venetian Macao during the Pit Stop, while all other teams slept at a simple hotel.
- Leg 7 – A Harel Relax credit card loaded with $6000, which the winners could use during the Pit Stop to purchase souvenirs and gifts to send back home.
- Leg 8 – A stay at a luxurious suite at the Hilton hotel during the Pit Stop, plus a limo ride to a restaurant to enjoy a high-quality dinner for two.
- Leg 9 – A phone call home, which could optionally be donated to another team.
- Leg 10 –
|Destinations||Air travel Rail travel Water travel Bus travel|
|Route Markers||צומת (Detour) מחסום (Roadblock) קיצור דרך (Fast Forward) עצור (Yield) סיבוב פרסה (U-Turn) נקודת סיום (Pit Stop)|
Leg 1 (Israel → South Africa)
Airdates: February 5, 12, 2012
- Tel Aviv, Israel (Avenue Hall) (Starting Line)
- Tel Aviv (Ben Gurion International Airport) to Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa (Port Elizabeth Airport)
- Port Elizabeth (Kragga Kamma Game Park)
- Nomathamsanqa (Fruit Stand)
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma National Park) (Overnight Rest)
- Garden Route (Khoisan Village)
- Garden Route (Bloukrans Bridge)
- Garden Route (Storms River Mouth)
The Detour was a choice between מים (Meym - Water) or שמים (Shemeym - Sky). In Water, teams had to rappel down a waterfall and add up the three numbers posted on the side. In Sky, teams had to ride a frightening zipline. In the first Roadblock of HaMerotz LaMillion, one of the team member had to perform a bungee jump off of the Bloukrans Bridge.
- Additional tasks
- At the beginning of the race, teams had to find a stand in the airport and randomly pick one of two envelopes containing tickets to flights to Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
- At the Kragga Kamma Game Park, teams had to follow a marked course over swamps and then attach a log to their car using a rope. Teams then had to drive a further distance dragging the log behind them to get their next clue.
- In Nomathamsanqa, each team member had to carry a bowl of fruit on their head to the Sangoma priestess without dropping any to receive their next clue.
- At the Khoisan Village, teams had to throw a tribal weapon known as an "Intonga" to break a pot held up by rope.
- At Storms River Mouth, teams had to build a tent to sleep in for the night. Once it had been judged as complete, they could run to the Pit Stop.
Leg 2 (South Africa)
- Port Elizabeth (Port Elizabeth Airport) to Cape Town, Western Cape (Cape Town International Airport)
- Cape Town (Table Mountain)
- Paarl (Nelson Vineyard or Valley Gun Club)
- Atlantis (Atlantis Dunes)
- Cape Town (Killarney Race Track)
- Cape Town (Langa)
- Cape Town (Nelson Mandela Monument In Marina V&A)
- Cape Town (Rhodes Memorial)
The Detour for this leg of the race was דרך היין (Derkh HaYayn - Wine Road) or דרך הכוונת (Derkh Hekhvenet - Through the Sight). In Wine Road, teams had to travel to Nelson Vineyard and carry one empty barrel, and then fill it with wine. In Through the Sight, teams had to travel to Valley Gun Club and shoot to six Flying Discs. In this Roadblock, one team member had to complete a lap in under two minutes on the Killarney Race Track.
- Additional tasks
- At Atlantis Dunes, both team members had to slide down the dune on a board and go through a set of flags at the bottom to receive their next clue.
- At Langa, each team member had to eat a Smiley (Goat head) to receive their next clue.
- At Nelson Mandela Monument, teams had to perform a local "Gumboot" dance and earn some money to receive their next clue.
Leg 3 (South Africa → Vietnam)
- Cape Town (Cape Town International Airport) to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (Tan Son Nhat International Airport)
- Ho Chi Minh City (Bến Thành Market)
- Cái Bè, Tiền Giang Province (Mr Tu Hai Rice Field)
- Cái Bè (Trai Ga Chicken Farm)
- Cái Bè (Trại Rắn Đồng Tâm)
- Ho Chi Minh City (Nha Tian Theatre)
- Ho Chi Minh City (Hùng Vương Temple)
In this Detour, teams had to choose between בוץ (Botz - Swamp) or קפוץ (Qefots - Jump). In Swamp, teams had to complete an obstacle course through a bog. In Jump, teams had to cross a river by jumping between large floating platforms in the river without falling. For the Fast Forward, teams had to eat a serving of cooked rat. The Roadblock had one team member collect 5 snakes from an enclosure and transport them into a bucket nearby.
- Additional tasks
- At Bến Thành Market, teams had to sell flowers to locals on Vietnamese bicycles. Once they made enough money from selling them, they would get their next clue.
- At the Trai Ga Chicken Farm, teams had to gather 20 chickens in a basket and deliver them to the Cái Bè Market to get their next clue.
- After delivering the chickens, teams received a duck which they would have to carry until they reached the Pit Stop.
- At the Theatre, teams had to watch a performance while searching for Hebrew letters on the performers' fans. Teams had to write down the message correctly to receive their next clue.
Leg 4 (Vietnam)
- Ho Chi Minh City (Nguyen Thong Motorcycle Shop)
- Ho Chi Minh City (Central Bus Terminal) to Bà Rịa, Bà Rịa–Vũng Tàu Province
- Bà Rịa (Ruộng Lúa Hợp Tác Xã Quyết Thăng)
- Vũng Tàu (Vũng Tàu Market)
- Vũng Tàu (Ao Sen Cô Phương)
- Vũng Tàu (Vũng Tàu Promenade Park)
- Vũng Tàu (Tran Hung Dao Temple)
- Vũng Tàu (Ha Long Street Promenade)
- Vũng Tàu (Villa Blanche)
In the Roadblock of this leg, one team member had to choose a carabao and then lead it around a muddy field to plough it in a figure 8 pattern. Their path is clearly marked by posts and race flags and teams have to lead their carabao back to where they started in the correct direction to receive their next clue. Teams are taught beforehand on some of the common vocal commands they may give to help control their carabao. If teams need help, they may ask for it, but will have to return to the starting line again if they do. The Detour on this leg was סירה במים (Syrah Bemeym - Water Boats) or לדווש ברגליים (Ledvesh Bergeleym - Pedal Feet). In Water Boats teams take a basket boat across the river to get a dangling clue. In Pedal Feet teams took a bike laden with shrimp baskets and travel 2.5 kilometres (1.6 mi) to a house where they would get their next clue.
- Additional tasks
- At the Motorcycle Shop, teams had to assemble a motorcycle using an assembled motorcycle for reference.
- At Vũng Tàu Market, teams had to count the number of fish in a basket. Once teams got the correct number, they would get their next clue.
- At Vũng Tàu Promenade Park, teams had to perform a local dance known as "Mua Sap" correctly, which involves jumping over sticks on time. Once they did it correctly, they would get their next clue.
- At the Temple, teams had to solve a large Tower of Hanoi puzzle.
- At Ha Long Street Promenade, one team member had to transport their partner to the next pit stop on a Cyclo.
Leg 5 (Vietnam → Japan)
- Ho Chi Minh City (Tan Son Nhat International Airport) to Tokyo, Japan (Narita International Airport)
- Shibuya (Shibuya Scramble)
- Shibuya (J-Pop Cafe)
- Bunkyō (Geinu Kodansha School) (Overnight Rest)
- Shinjuku (Shinjuku Station) to Gotemba (Gotemba Station)
- Gotemba (Forest)
- Gotemba (Mother Village)
- Yamanakako (Lake Yamanaka)
In this Detour, teams had to choose between ללמד (Lelmed - Teach) or ללמוד (Lelmod - Learn). In Teach, they would have to teach schoolchildren who did not speak Hebrew to memorize ten words of Hebrew, in which they will later be tested by a local teacher. In Learn, teams have to learn from the local schoolchildren ten words in Japanese. Teams will later be tested for these words by a local teacher. The Roadblock required one team member to go through archways in 3 rows, going through the correct archway in reach row. If they passed the wrong archway, they were sent back to the beginning by ninjas. If team members did not get the numbers correct within 3 tries, they would be sent to the back of the teams waiting to complete the task.
- Additional tasks
- At the Shibuya Crossing, teams had to find their next clue on one of the large screens. This would lead them to a woman wearing a kimono who would give them their next clue.
- At the J-Pop Cafe, teams had to look around the cosplaying girls for one with a specific Kanji character on clothing to get their next clue.
- At the Mother Village in Gotemba, teams had to endure 7 minute pedicure treatment given by baby piranhas and then solve a puzzle box encompassing the next clue.
- At Lake Yamanaka, teams had to take a swan boat and paddle out to the Pit Stop, the big swan.
Leg 6 (Japan → Macau, China)
- Tokyo (Narita International Airport) to Taipa, Macau , China (Macau International Airport)
- Macau Peninsula (Senado Square)
- Macau Peninsula (Kun Iam statue)
- Macau Peninsula (Sai Van Lake) (Overnight Rest)
- Macau Peninsula (Macau Tower)
- Taipa (Rua do Cunha)
- Macau Peninsula (Fortaleza do Monte)
- Cotai (The Venetian Macao)
In this Roadblock the team member was required to freefall 338 metres (1,109 ft) in a controlled descent from the 61st floor of The Macau Tower. Only after the team member successfully executed the free fall, they would get the next clue. In this Detour, teams had to choose between אטריות (Ateriot - Noodles) or עוגיות ('Eogiot - Cookies). In Noodles, teams prepared dough in the traditional way and make a local variety of noodles. Only after they made a bundle of Noodles, they got the next clue. In Cookies, teams had to bite into 2,000 cookies and find one cookie with meat in it.
- Additional tasks
- In Senado Square, the teams were needed to find dragon head sculpture and take it to Kun Iam Statue and there they found the dragon tail sculpture. After that they needed to walk to the lake nearby.
- In Sai Van Lake, the teams had to put the dragon sculptures in a boat and then complete a lap of the lake in the boat.
- At Fortaleza do Monte, the teams were given a key and had to find which of the 1000 locks it opened.
- To reach the Pit Stop, the teams needed to ride in gondolas to the Pit Stop in The Venetian Macao.
Leg 7 (Macau, China → Hong Kong, China)
- Macau Peninsula (Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Pier, Macau) to Sheung Wan, Central and Western District, Hong Kong (Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Pier, Hong Kong) by TurboJET
- Wan Chai District (Yee Wo Street)
- Wan Chai District (Cosmo Hotel)
- Wan Chai District (Southorn Stadium)
- Central and Western District (Ko Shing Market)
- Kowloon City District (Kowloon Walled City)
- Yau Tsim Mong District (Commander Rock)
- Wong Tai Sin District (Wong Tai Sin Temple)
- Sha Tin District (Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery)
In the Roadblock, one team member had to play Ping Pong against a champion child. After the team member got 7 points in the game, they would get their next clue. For this Fast Forward, teams had to shave their hair. Only after one team shaved all the hair, they would win the Fast Forward. In this Detour teams had to choose between קונג פו (Kung Fu) or ריקוד האריה (Reyqod HaReyah - Lion Dance). In Kung Fu, teams had to learn some Kung Fu stances and perform them for the Kung Fu master. After this, the teams had to break many plates with one punch before they would get the next clue. In Lion Dance teams had to learn the Lion Dance with the lion costume and find the local master to show the moves to him to get the next clue.
- Additional tasks
- In Yee Wo Street, teams had to find the answers to the next questions: The number of squares on the logo of PCCW (Answer: 12). The number of triangles on the logo of SOGO (Answer: 2). The price of the daily newspaper South China Morning Post (Answer: 7). The number of the gates on the railway bridge (Answer: 17). The missing number in the elevator of Cosmo Hotel (Answer: 4).
- In Cosmo Hotel, teams had to go to a marked room of the hotel, and take the numbers of the previous mission and make some math calculations to find the number 1748 that opens the safe. In the safe, teams found the next clue and a Visa Card, which they had to take to the Pit Stop.
- In Ko Shing Market, teams had to get ingredients to a Chinese soup in the market and bring the ingredients to the local pharmacist. They then had to eat the soup to get the next clue.
- In Wong Tai Sin Temple, teams had to hear their future from one of three types of fortune tellers to get the next clue.
- At the Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery, teams had to count the amount Buddha sculptures that have only one hand visible on their way upstairs. If teams came up with the correct value of 54, they would be allowed to check in to the Pit Stop.
Leg 8 (Hong Kong, China → Australia)
- Chek Lap Kok (Hong Kong International Airport) to Sydney, New South Wales, Australia (Sydney Airport)
- Sydney (Dawes Point)
- Sydney (Woolloomooloo – Harry's Cafe de Wheels) (Overnight Rest)
- Sydney (Sydney Harbour Bridge)
- Sydney (Sydney Olympic Park)
- Sydney (Sydney Olympic Park – The Sprinter Sculpture)
- Sydney (City Centre – Circular Quay ferry wharf) to (Manly – Manly wharf)
- Sydney (Manly – Manly Beach)
- Sydney (Hilton Hotel)
- Sydney (The Rocks – Australian Heritage Hotel)
- Sydney (The Rocks – Argyle Pub)
- Sydney (The Rocks – Orient Hotel)
- Sydney (Royal Botanical Gardens)
In this Detour, teams had to choose between ריקוד במים (Reyqod Bemeym - Water Dance) or גלגול בשמיים (Gelgol Beshemeym - Sky Roll). In Water Dance teams had to enter a swimming pool and learn a series of synchronized swimming moves and then perform them perfectly to get the next clue. In Sky Roll teams had to hang on trapeze with their legs and perform a "Catch". In this Roadblock, one team member had to perform a face-first rappel from the roof of the hotel. After teams completed the rappel, they received their next clue.
- Additional tasks
- At Dawes Point, teams had to use binoculars to find their next destination.
- At Harry's Cafe de Wheels, teams had to eat 6 pies, including 1,000 calories per pie. After eating the pies, the teams would receive their next clue and a departure time for the next morning.
- At Sydney Harbour Bridge, teams had to learn a cheer song and then climb the bridge. After finishing the climb, teams had to sing the cheer they learned before to get their next clue.
- At Manly Beach, teams had to find a "Sheila" in an "Aussie cossie", a woman wearing a swimsuit with a design of the Australian flag on it, to receive their next clue.
- At Australian Heritage Hotel, teams had to pour three cups of beer in the Australian way and take the beers on tray to the Argyle Pub. There, they had to pour three more cups of beet and then go to the Orient Hotel. Finally, they had to give the tray to the bartender to check the beer level. If the level of the beers is good, the teams would receive the next clue.
Leg 9 (Australia → New Zealand)
- Sydney (Sydney Airport) to Auckland, New Zealand (Auckland Airport)
- Auckland (Westhaven Marina)
- Matamata, Waikato (Hobbiton Movie Set) (Overnight Rest)
- Matamata (Shire's Rest Farm)
- Te Puia (Maori Arts & Crafts Institute)
- Rotorua (Rotorua International Stadium) or Te Puia (Pikirangi Village)
- Rotorua (Hell's Gate)
- Auckland (One Tree Hill)
In this Roadblock, one team member had to herd three sheep into a small fenced area to receive the next clue. In this Detour, teams had to choose between לחטוף (Lechtof - Snatch) or לתפוס (Letfos - Catch). In Snatch, teams had to play Rugby against professional Rugby players. The objective was to run with the ball 22 meters while trying to avoid the players' attempts to touch in order to spike the ball. Then they would have to kick the ball through the field goal to receive the next clue. In Catch, teams had to learn the Māori dance known as "Titi Torea" and perform it perfectly to receive the next clue.
- Additional tasks
- Teams had to arrive to Issta's travel agency and receive tickets for the next flight.
- At Westhaven Marina, teams had to prepare a yacht to sail. Teams had an example yacht to study. After the skipper approved that the yacht is ready, he would give the teams the next clue.
- At the Hobbiton Movie Set, teams had to find 2 items from the film trilogy The Lord of the Rings (Gandalf's staff and the one ring), and bring the items to Gandalf to receive the next clue.
- In Hell's Gate, teams had to enter the mud pools and find 2 Maori totems, which they could exchange for the next clue.
Leg 10 (New Zealand)
- Queenstown, Otago (Shotover River)
- Gibbston (Peren Farm)
- Queenstown (The Bakery)
- Queenstown (Lake Hayes)
- Queenstown (Deer Park Heights) (Overnight Rest)
- Queenstown (Queenstown Airport - Actionflite)
- Gibbston (Kawarau River)
- Gibbston (Dennis' Farm)
- Nevis River (Nevis Highwire)
- Otago (Black Rock Valley)
In this Roadblock, one team member had to ride in an airplane with a stunt pilot, enduring some wild moves with heavy g-forces. The task at the Nevis Highwire was presented as an additional task, but it was actually a Detour. In the one aired choice, קפוץ יחד (Leqefotz 'Yeched - Jump Together), teams had to ride the famous swing jump. After both team members fell, they would get their next clue.
- Additional tasks
- In Shotover River, the teams had to ride on an extreme jet boat and find their next clue hanging along the way.
- At Peren Farm, teams had to find their next clue hidden in a haybale from 50 different haybales.
- In The Bakery, teams had to decorate four Pavlovas and then sell them for a combined total of NZ$50 to get their next clue.
- In Lake Hayes, teams had to cut nine pieces of wood with a large saw, including two pieces that had to be cut by a single team member. They then had to use them to answer a questionnaire about the race and get correct answers to get the next clue.
- In Kawarau River, teams had to go riverboarding down the river to get their next clue.
- At Dennis' Farm, one team member had to answer questions about the teams. The other team member then had to answer the same questions and try to match their partners' answers. When the team members' answers matched, they would get their next clue.
- In Black Rock Valley, teams had to roll a 250 kilograms (550 lb) globe using a set of three logs. Only after the teams finished rolling the globe, they could run to the Finish Line.
- HaMerotz LaMillion, season 1, all episodes, originally aired 5 February 2009
- Official website (in Hebrew)