This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||CNC Machine Tools, Manufacturing|
|Headquarters||Oxnard, California, United States of America|
Number of locations
|Owner||Gene F. Haas|
Number of employees
|1,500 (worldwide, 2013)|
Haas Automation, Inc is an American machine tool builder headquartered in Oxnard, California, that designs and manufactures precision machine tools and specialized accessory tooling, mostly computer numerically controlled (CNC), such as vertical machining centers and horizontal machining centers, lathes/turning centers, and rotary tables and indexers. Most of its production and manufacturing process occurs at the company's main facility in Oxnard.
Gene F. Haas founded Haas Automation in 1983 to manufacture machine tool accessory tooling. The company entered the machine tool industry with the first fully automatic, programmable collet indexer, Over the next four years, the company expanded its product line to include fully programmable rotary tables, rotary indexers, and machine tool accessories.
In 1987, Haas Automation began developing its first vertical machining center (VMC) the VF-1, a machine designed to perform operations such as milling, drilling, tapping, and boring. The first VF-1 prototypes were completed in 1988, and introduced at the International Manufacturing Technology Show (IMTS '88) in Chicago, Illinois.
- 1983: Haas Automation, Inc. established in Sun Valley, CA
- 1991: Haas moves to larger facilities in Chatsworth, CA
- 1997: Haas moves to purpose-built on 86 acres in Oxnard, CA
- Vertical Machining Centers (VMCs)
- Horizontal Machining Centers (HMCs)
- Turning Centers (CNC Lathes)
- Rotary Tables and Indexers
Haas Automation is an ISO 9001:2008 certified company. All machine tools carry the ETL Listed mark, certifying that they conform to the NFPA 79 Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery and the Canadian equivalent, CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 73. The company has completed the certification process that is required to affix the CE mark to its products.
Haas started out in 1983 with limited local distribution of its products in Southern California, eventually expanding into the United States, Canadian, and United Kingdom markets. In 1988 the company began establishing overseas markets, beginning with Denmark, Holland, and Israel. In 1993, Haas began private labeling products for Swiss machine tool builder Mikron, which provided additional distribution of the company’s machines in the European market. In 2000, Haas established Haas Automation Europe in Brussels, Belgium, to distribute Haas-branded products directly in Europe, and began phasing out the relationship with Mikron.
Products are distributed worldwide through a network of Haas Factory Outlets (HFOs), independently owned franchised local businesses that provide sales, service, and applications support for Haas machine tools. Introduced in 1999, with the first HFO established in Torrance, California, then applied to the company’s existing worldwide network. and Canada, and then expanded worldwide.
- "Haas's 2006 production makes it world leader.". Tooling & production. Nelson Publishing. 1 March 2007.
- "2007 was good to Haas.". Modern Applications News. Nelson Publishing. 1 April 2008.
- Michael P Collins (1 February 2008). "Behind the Haas phenomenon: the philosophy of California company has redefined what's successful in a new manufacturing century". Tooling & Production. Nelson Publishing.
- "Inside the future of a machine tool builder.". Tooling & Production. Nelson Publishing. 1 April 2000.
- Stanley J Modic (1 December 1991). "Gene Haas keeps entrepreneurial spirit alive". Tooling & Production. Nelson Publishing.
- "Ground broken in Oxnard for $20 million Haas headquarters; private-public teamwork cited.". Business Wire. 20 March 1996.
- "LOCAL MACHINE TOOL BUILDING HAAS AUTOMATION INKS EXPORT PACT WITH LEADING SWISS MANUFACTURER". PR Newswire Association LLC. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- "Haas Expands `Factory Outlet' Concept.". Metalworking Insider's Report. Gardner Publications, Inc. 7 October 1999.
- "Haas sets sights on Europe.". Nelson Publishing. Retrieved 8 May 2013.