This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||CNC Machine Tools, Manufacturing|
Number of locations
|Revenue||>$1 billion (2018)|
Number of employees
|1,300 (Oxnard HQ, 2018)|
Haas Automation, Inc is an American machine tool builder headquartered in Oxnard, California, that designs and manufactures lower cost machine tools and specialized accessory tooling, mostly computer numerically controlled (CNC) equipment, such as vertical machining centers and horizontal machining centers, lathes/turning centers, and rotary tables and indexers. Most of its products are manufactured at the company's main facility in Oxnard. The company is also involved in motorsports: it owns the Haas F1 Team and in NASCAR the Stewart-Haas Racing Team. Haas is one of the largest machine tool builders in the world by total unit volume.
Gene Haas founded Haas Automation in 1983 to manufacture machine tool accessory tooling. The company entered the machine tool industry with the first fully automatic, programmable collet indexer. Over the next four years, the company expanded its product line to include fully programmable rotary tables, rotary indexers, and other machine tool accessories.
In 1987, Haas Automation began developing its first vertical machining center (VMC), the VF-1, a machine designed to perform operations such as milling, drilling, tapping, and boring. The first VF-1 prototypes were completed in 1988, and introduced at the International Manufacturing Technology Show (IMTS '88) in Chicago, Illinois.
- 1983: Haas Automation, Inc. established in Sun Valley, CA
- 1991: Haas moves to larger facilities in Chatsworth, CA
- 1997: Haas moves to purpose-built on 86 acres in Oxnard, CA
- 2019: Haas purchases 279 acres of land in Henderson, Nevada for $27.4 million to expand its business, planning to build 4.3 million square feet of commercial space with 2.3 million square feet intended for a $327 million manufacturing facility
- Vertical Machining Centers (VMCs)
- Horizontal Machining Centers (HMCs)
- Turning Centers (CNC Lathes)
- Rotary Tables and Indexers
Haas Automation is an ISO 9001:2008 certified company. All machine tools carry the ETL Listed mark, certifying that they conform to the NFPA 79 electrical standard for industrial machinery and the Canadian equivalent, CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 73. The company is also entitled to affix the CE mark to its products.
Products are distributed worldwide through a network of independently owned franchised local "factory outlet" businesses that provide sales, service, and applications support for Haas machine tools. Introduced in 1999, with the first outlet established in Torrance, California, it was applied to the company's existing worldwide network, and then expanded to Europe.
- "Haas Automation Board Packet" (PDF). Diversify Nevada. 2019-06-27.
- "Haas's 2006 production makes it world leader". Tooling & production. Nelson Publishing. 1 March 2007.
- "2007 was good to Haas". Modern Applications News. Nelson Publishing. 1 April 2008.
- Michael P Collins (1 February 2008). "Behind the Haas phenomenon: the philosophy of California company has redefined what's successful in a new manufacturing century". Tooling & Production. Nelson Publishing.
- "Inside the future of a machine tool builder". Tooling & Production. Nelson Publishing. 1 April 2000.
- "HAAS VF-1 Model". CNC Machine VF-1. Retrieved 26 Sep 2020.
- Stanley J Modic (1 December 1991). "Gene Haas keeps entrepreneurial spirit alive". Tooling & Production. Nelson Publishing.
- "Ground broken in Oxnard for $20 million Haas headquarters; private-public teamwork cited". Business Wire. 20 March 1996.
- "Machine tool builder buys 279 acres in Henderson". Las Vegas Review-Journal. 2019-11-20. Retrieved 2020-07-12.
- "Haas Expands `Factory Outlet' Concept". Metalworking Insider's Report. Gardner Publications, Inc. 7 October 1999.
- "Haas sets sights on Europe". Nelson Publishing. Retrieved 8 May 2013.