Habanero-tan (ハバネロたん) is the unofficial mascot of Bōkun Habanero, the habanero pepper-flavored snacks produced by Tohato. Habanero-tan and her companions with names like "Jalapeño-san" are the personification of spices as cute young girls. They were created by several Japanese amateur artists, and of them, Shigatake, the creator of the character Habanero-tan, drew a series of yonkoma manga featuring the lives of these girls. Shigatake later became the graphics designer for the Vanillaware games Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire.
Habanero-tan's popularity has led to various renditions (some of them risque) by other Japanese artists, and even appearances on the OVA Netrun-mon. There is also a dojin game called Habanero-tan House which incorporates many of the things seen in Shigatake's comics. The game's creator, Ashinaga Oji-san, later worked with Shigatake and Vanillaware to develop a similar game called Kumatanchi for the Nintendo DS.
- Habanero-tan (ハバネロたん?)
- An energetic young girl with a red dress and red hair, and a stem on her head. Created by Shigatake.
- Habanero-neesan (ハバネロ姐さん?)
- Habanero's friend and older sister figure. Created by Shima Humikane.
- Milk-san (牛乳さん Gyūnyū-san?)
- Habanero's friend and milk supply. Has large breasts and wears skimpy clothes. Created by Salad Oil.
- "Kumatanchi", Famitsu, 2008-05-30, p. 222
- Official Tohato Habanero page
- Shigatake's homepage – includes collected translations of the comics into Korean, English and Polish.
- Long-legged Uncle (Ashinaga Oji-san) – creator of "Habanero-tan House"
|This article about a sports, promotional, or other mascot is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|