Habang May Buhay
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Habang May Buhay|
|Genre||Romance, Drama, Medical drama, Suspense, Crime, Comedy, Thriller|
|Created by||Enrico Santos|
|Directed by||Wenn Deramas|
|Starring||Judy Ann Santos
|Opening theme||"Habang May Buhay" by Sharon Cuneta|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||67|
California, United States
|Production company(s)||Dreamscape Entertainment Television|
|Picture format||480i SDTV|
|Original release||February 15– May 14, 2010|
|Related shows||Bukod Kang Pinagpala (GMA) (2013)|
Habang May Buhay (lit. While There is Life) is a Philippine medical drama series that aired on ABS-CBN. This is the story of a strong-willed nurse who undergoes family, career, and love challenges in the Philippines and the United States. It aired from February 15, 2010 to May 14, 2010.
Habang May Buhay is the first-ever Filipino "nurse-serye" set in the dramatic setting of a hospital (and various prisons) that mirrors life at its most intense. This series will also bring back the arch-rivalry of Judy Ann Santos and Gladys Reyes from the big hit teleserye, Mara Clara.
||This April 2010's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The series opens with a terrible vehicle accident. Luckily, Nurse Rose Caparas (Gina Alajar) and her young daughter Jane aka Jing-Jing, are there to aid those who are hurt from the terrible wreck. Rose has a secret affair with a general physician, Dr. Manuel Corpuz (John Arcilla); Manuel's wife, Ellen (Tetchie Agbayani), is aware of her husband's infidelity and tries to unravel the identity of her husband's mistress. Jane befriends Sam and his adopted brother Nathan, the two children of Manuel and Ellen. Sam instantly falls for Jane and apparently so does Nathan; the three of them form a bond and promise to be friends forever. However, an unexpected revelation breaks their pact. One fateful day, Nathan sees his father Manuel kissing Rose and catches this moment on film. Sam becomes furious upon seeing the photo of his father's unfaithfulness and quickly jumps to conclusions. Out of rage, Sam and Nathan confront Rose. Rose tries to explain herself but Sam accidentally pushes her off a cliff, setting the story in motion. Upon learning the crime their sons have committed, Ellen convinces Manuel to go abroad for their family's safety. Nathan, however, is unable to travel abroad due to complications with his adoption papers. This causes Nathan and Sam to get separated - with Sam traveling to America with his parents and Nathan running away. Nathan changes his name to Raon, in hopes of forgetting about his past. While in the states, Ellen and Manuel continue to have marital problems, forcing them to get separated. Later on, Ellen marries a rich doctor named Martin Briones and also inherits a stepdaughter, Clarissa Briones. As an act of embracing his new future and letting go of the tragedy of his past, Sam changes his name to David Briones. Meanwhile, Rose's accident leaves her mentally ill, leaving her and Jane no other choice but to live under the care of Rose's bitter cousin and Jane's aunt, Aida (Jobelle Salvador). After Rose attacks Aida, Aida decides to have Rose locked up in a mental institution, much to young Jane's chagrin. While under the care of her cruel aunt, Jane befriends Nonoy, a young boy who hopes to reconcile with his long lost mother. Jane and Nonoy would visit Rose at the mental institution at every chance they get, but another unfortunate event causes Jane's friendship with Nonoy to end abruptly. Jane, therefore, uses all the pain she had endured as her motivation to reach her dreams of becoming a nurse and to one day restore her mother.
Unbeknownst to Jane, her other aunt named Cora (Rio Locsin) is also looking for Jane and her mother in order to help them; as a promise to Jane's father. Cora sends money to Jane and Rose, ignorant of the former and the latter's situation with Aida. Instead of giving the money to Jane, Aida takes it for herself and her daughter, Grace. The all-grown-up Jane (Judy Ann Santos) finishes high school, and luckily she gets a college scholarship for the course she has always dreamed of—nursing. Since her wicked aunt opts to deprive her even with tertiary education, Jane has to work her way to college. Regularly, she still visits her mentally challenged mother in the mental institution. After an altercation with Grace over stolen money, Jane accidentally discovers all the letters her Aunt Cora had sent. Completely raged, Jane finally decides to move out from Aida's care and move in under Cora's wing. Now that everything is starting to fall into its rightful place, tragedy then strikes. On the day they are about to release Rose from the mental institution, the deranged lady runs off. Jane eventually graduates and becomes the nurse that she hoped she would be. As a nurse, Jane is very dedicated, strong-willed, and selfless. However, all of this is challenged when she meets David Briones (Derek Ramsay) - the arrogant and womanizing owner of the hospital Jane works for. Both Jane and David are unaware of each other's true identity. Meanwhile, Raon (Joem Bascon), finds Rose and does everything in his power to try to restore her back to her normal state. Overtime, Jane and David grow close, despite their constant annoyance of one another. Though none are willing to admit it, Jane and David have fallen in love with one another but are still ignorant from the truth. Trouble, however, comes in the form of Clarissa Briones (Gladys Reyes), David's stepsister who also harbors deep romantic feelings for David. In his attempt to heal Rose, Raon runs into his father Manuel at a community hospital but does not reveal his true identity to the doctor. Manuel and Rose are reunited, with Manuel acting as Rose's doctor. Jane and David become an official couple, but Clarissa continues with her constant meddling.
Raon learns that Jane is Rose's daughter and therefore hatches a plan to reunite the mother and daughter who were torn apart by tragedy. Now that two are reunited, Jane finds Manuel at the hospital and tries to talk to him. However, the troubled doctor still does not have the courage to face Jane and does everything he can to hide from her until the time is right. On the other hand, David finally discovers Jane's true identity after he pays a visit to Jane's mother (not knowing that her mother is Rose). Upon seeing David, Rose tells Jane that David is the one that pushed her down the cliff. Jane dismisses the truth by telling her mother that the person responsible is Sam, not David. David, now hurting from what he discovered, tries to find a way to tell Jane his secret: That he is in fact Sam and the one responsible for her mother's accident. Clarissa, on the other hand, is still trying to come up with plans to rid Jane from David's life.
David's mother, Ellen, becomes aware of David's relationship with Jane and opposes this, all thanks to Clarissa. Ellen, therefore, returns to the Philippines to take matters into her own hands. David tells his mother that Jane is Rose's daughter and that she mustn't do anything to jeopardize their relationship because if she does, David will never speak to her again. Clarissa overhears their conversation and later threatens Ellen that she will expose the truth to Jane; Ellen retracts by telling Clarissa that she, too, will expose something from Clarissa's past that will put her in jail if she ever tells Jane the truth. Jane's friend, Nonoy (Will Devaughn), suddenly returns to Jane's life, causing much jealousy within David. Happy to be reunited with her long lost friend, Jane is unaware of the fact that Nonoy is sick. Ellen is also reunited with Manuel, after a run-in with each other at the community hospital. Manuel wants nothing more to do with his ex-wife, but Ellen plans on winning back Manuel. Ellen soon discovers that Rose is still alive after following Manuel on his way to see Rose. To ensure that nothing can get in between her and Manuel, Ellen kidnaps Rose and takes her somewhere far away where Manuel won't be able to reach her.
Cast and characters
- Judy Ann Santos-Agoncillo as Jane C. Alcantara-Briones† / Adult Mary Jane C. Briones - She is the daughter of Rose, the mother of Mary Jane and the husband to David. She is also a nurse like her mother, Rose. At the end, she dies after being shot Clarissa.
- Derek Ramsay as Samuel David "Sam" Corpuz / David C. Briones - He is the husband of Jane and father of Mary Jane. He was the one who pushed Rose down the hill, and not Nathan. He is the son Manuel and Ellen Corpuz.
- Joem Bascon as Nathaniel "Nathan" Corpuz / Raon - He took the blame for Sam, when he pushed Rose down the hill. He is the adoptive brother of Sam and adoptive son of Manuel and Ellen. He is harboring a secret love for Jane.
- Gina Alajar as Rose Alcantara / Rose Caparas - She is the widowed mother of Jane and grandmother of Mary Jane. She is also a nurse like her mother. She was mentally ill at one point, because she was pushed down the hill by Sam. But she recovers eventually.
- Tetchie Agbayani as Ellen Corpuz† - The mother of Sam and the adoptive mother of Nathan. She is also Manuel wife, but she was having an affair with Clarissa's father. Clarissa killed her when she betrayed her, to tell the authorities of her evil deeds.
- Rio Locsin as Cora Alcantara - She is the aunt of Jane and also the grandmother to Mary Jane. She thinks of nothing else except Jane's benefits. But she deals with Jane with tough love. She is the sister of Rose and the mother to Mark.
- Will Devaughn as Patrick "Nonoy" Esteban† - He is the best friend and protector of Jane, since they were kids. They suddenly got separated. He returns to Jane as a patient, and he finally admits his feelings for her. He dies of a brain tumor.
- Dominic Roque as Mark Alcantara† - He is the cousin to Jane and the son to Cora. He dies after Clarissa plants a bomb in their mansion.
- John Arcilla as Dr. Manuel Corpuz† - He is the wife of Ellen, father to Sam and the adoptive father of Nathan. Rose and him were having an affair at some point. Manuel is a general physician. He was later killed by Clarissa when he defended Rose.
- Gee-Ann Abrahan as Tammy / Fiona† - She and Ellen were the only two people who knew that she wasn't in a coma. She was killed by Clarissa when she burned the room that she was working at the time.
- Gladys Reyes-Roxas as Dra. Clarissa C. Briones† - She is the stepsister of David. She is the stepdaughter of Ellen. She also harboring a secret love for David. Clarissa became a murderer. At the end, Nathan pushed in to an electrical cable, and was electrocuted to death.
The project was announced in mid-2007. Production started January 2008 under the direction of Andoy Ranay, Mark Meily, and John Lazatin. The series had a working title Himala but the management did not want the viewers to think that it was a remake of the Nora Aunor movie Himala. The title was then changed to Humingi Ako Sa Langit. On ABS-CBN's Trade Show, '08 Accelerate!, a trailer of the show was released. It was also announced that the show will be part of ABS-CBN's 2009 new shows line up, but ABS-CBN management then decided to scratch the whole project and start over again. After having seven different directors, new production started middle of 2009 under the direction of Wenn Deramas. In November 2009, ABS-CBN held its trade show for its upcoming programs for 2010 where it was announced that Habang May Buhay will begin airing during the first quarter of 2010.
- Director: Wenn V. Deramas
- Executive in Charge of Production: Enrico Santos
- Executive in Charge of Creative: ???
- Creative Manager: ???
- Production Manager: Rizza Ebriega
- Executive Producer: Grace Ann Casimsiman
- Headwriter: Francis Xavier Pasion, Agnes Gagelonia
- Writers: Shugo Praico, Lobert Villela, Bridgette Rebuca, Genesis Rodriguez, Maribel Ilag
Habang May Buhay was launched as one of the ABS-CBN offering for the 60th celebration of Filipino Soap Opera ("Ika-60 taon ng Pinoy Soap Opera"). Together with series such as Rubi, Kung Tayo'y Magkakalayo, Tanging Yaman, Kokey at Ako, Magkano Ang Iyong Dangal?, Agua Bendita and a series of Precious Hearts Romances Presents seasonal installments. The shows were launched during the ABS-CBN Trade Launch for the first quarter of 2010, entitled "Bagong Simula" (New Beginning).
- It won 4 Awards
- Became Gladys Reyes and Judy Ann Santos' comeback as a tandem.
- it was originally named Humingi Ako Sa Langit in 2008 when it was shot but decided to fix the program with same plot new cast and new drama because it would open as the 1st Quarter of 2010's 60th Year Of Philippine Drama Campaign.
- List of programs broadcast by ABS-CBN
- List of programs aired by ABS-CBN
- List of telenovelas of ABS-CBN
- Bonifacio, Julie (2009-01-24). "Wenn Deramas all set to work with Judy Ann Santos for the first time". ABS-CBN.com. Retrieved 2009-01-30.
- Mendiola, Jessy (Cast). Humingi Ako Sa Langit Trailer (in Filipino). Philippines: ABS-CBN. Event occurs at 1:25. Retrieved 2010-12-20.