Habeas Corpus (band)
|Genres||Hardcore Punk, Nardcore, Skate Punk, Surf Punk, Horror punk, Straight Edge|
|Years active||1983-1987, 2011 (re-release of their 5 Song EP, originally from 1986)|
|Associated acts||Agression (during their 1986 tour)|
|Past members||Rob Monsour (guitar, vocals)
Ed Burgos (bass)
Mike Brown (guitar, vocals)
James Ribiat (drums)
Mike Minnick (drums)
One of the region's first straight edge bands, Habeas Corpus combined Misfits-style horror punk with the early 80s Southern California surf/skate sound. The bands' song "Steal You Blind" was featured on Mystic Records Nardcore LP compilation documenting the early Oxnard hardcore punk scene. The members were all under 18, Mike Brown was only 13.
They also appeared on Mystic's Party Animal LP compilation with "Last Dream" written by Rob Monsour. Habeas Corpus performed shows in Phoenix and Las Vegas, and then toured with Agression, another band from Oxnard's Nardcore scene.
In 1986, the band recorded a 5-song EP to sell during their tour with Agression. This EP, now very rare, was re-released in 2011 as Six Feet Under Oxnard: Lost Nardcore from the 1980s.
Six Feet Under Oxnard features drummer Mike Minnick, who would later join Agression.
Last known line-up:
- Rob Monsour (guitar, vocals)
- Mike Brown (guitar, vocals)
- Eddy Burgos (bass)
- James Ribiat (drums)
- Mike Minnick (drums)
- Nardcore Compilation LP, Mystic Records 1984
- We Got Power #2: Party Animal Compilation LP, Mystic Records 1985
- 5 Song EP, 1986
- Six Feet Under Oxnard: Lost Nardcore from the 1980s, Nardcore Music 2011
- Blush, Steven (2001). American Hardcore: A Tribal History. (Los Angeles: Feral Music). ISBN 0-922915-71-7