Hackney Downs railway station
Location of Hackney Downs in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Hackney|
|Managed by||London Overground|
|Number of platforms||4|
|OSI||Hackney Central |
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|— interchange||0.926 million|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portal
UK Railways portalCoordinates:
Hackney Downs railway station is in the London Borough of Hackney in north east London. The station is operated by London Overground, on the West Anglia route, and is in Travelcard Zone 2. It is also served by Abellio Greater Anglia. The station was originally opened as Downs Junction Station.
The station is a short walk from Hackney Central, on the North London Line, and a direct pedestrian link between the two exists, meaning passengers are not required to exit one station and walk along the street to re-enter at the other.
The ticket hall was rebuilt in the early 1980s along with changes to the roofs on the platforms. The island platforms wooden roof was replaced with steel sheeting on the existing frames whilst the side platforms were left unaltered other than the removal of their 'dog-tooth' fascia boards. The signal box, installed in 1960 when the line was electrified, closed in the early 2000s when signalling on the line was centralised. Ticket barriers were installed in 2011.
The current pedestrian link between Hackney Downs and Hackney Central was opened in July 2015. Until Hackney Central's closure in 1944, a passenger connection had linked the two stations. However, when Hackney Central reopened in 1985, the footway did not reopen, and passengers transferring between the two stations were obliged to leave the station and transfer at street level until the link was reinstated in 2015.
The Liverpool Street-Cheshunt/Enfield Town/Chingford services were previously operated by Abellio Greater Anglia as part of the Greater Anglia franchise. On 31 May 2015 they transferred to London Overground concession holder London Overground Rail Operations. Some Abellio Greater Anglia West Anglia Main Line services still however continue to call at Hackney Downs.
The typical off-peak service from the station is:
Operated by London Overground,
- 8tph (trains per hour) to London Liverpool Street
- 4tph to Chingford
- 2tph to Cheshunt via Seven Sisters
- 2tph to Enfield Town via Seven Sisters
Operated by Abellio Greater Anglia,
Banner Repeater is an artist run reading room and project space located in the station.
- "Out of Station Interchanges" (XLS). Transport for London. May 2011. Archived from the original on 20 October 2012.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- TFL appoints London Overground operator to run additional services Transport for London 28 May 2014
- TfL count on LOROL for support Rail Professional 28 May 2014
- Media related to Hackney Downs railway station at Wikimedia Commons