Haddon Township High School
|Haddon Township High School|
406 Memorial Avenue|
Westmont, NJ 08108
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Haddon Township School District|
|Enrollment||619 (as of 2015-16)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.6:1|
|Athletics conference||Colonial Conference|
Haddon Township High School is a four-year comprehensive community public high school serving students in ninth through twelfth grades, located in Haddon Township, in Camden County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Haddon Township School District. The school offers courses in math, science, languages, humanities and various vocational skills. It also offers athletics and after-school clubs and organizations. The school follows a quarter-semester system, uses a 5-point GPA scale, and offers Advanced Placement and Honors courses, both of which use a weighted average grading system.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 619 students and 53.3 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.6:1. There were 78 students (12.6% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 31 (5.0% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 108th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 50th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 97th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 80th in 2008 out of 316 schools. Previously, in 2006, the magazine ranked the school 77th out of 316 schools in New Jersey. Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 141st out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 11 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (85.0%) and language arts literacy (93.2%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
Clubs and organizations include Student Council, Bowling Club, Guitar Club, Math Club, Knowledge Bowl, Philosophy Club, Drama Club, Mock Trial, Environmental Club, Art Club, Athletic Training Club, Spanish Club, French Club, German Club, Latin Club, The Anvil (yearbook club), American Technological Honor Society, Future Business Leaders of America, Future Teachers of America, Jazz Band, Orchestra, Magigal Show Choir, Chorus, National Honor Society, REBEL (an anti-smoking campaign), Students Against Destructive Decisions, National Language Honor Society, National Art Honor Society and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
The Haddon Township High School Hawks compete as a member of the Colonial Conference, which operates under the auspices of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 475 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as South Jersey, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 78 to 478 students in that grade range. The football team competes in the Memorial Division of the 95-team West Jersey Football League superconference and was classified by the NJSIAA as South Jersey Group II for football for 2017-18.
The boys' cross country team won the Group III state championship in 1968, Group II state championships in 1971, 1972, 1976, and 1986, and Group I state championships in 1988, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014. The team has won 18 South Jersey state sectional championships: Group III in 1968, Group II in 1970, 1971, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1985, 1986, and Group I in 1988, 1996, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.
The girls' cross country team won the Group I state championship in 2007. They have won 10 South Jersey state sectional championships: Group II in 1976, 1983, 1984, 2004, and Group I in 2000, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2014, and 2016.
The wrestling team won the South Jersey Group II state sectional championship in 1980 and 1987.
The field hockey team won the South Jersey Group I state sectional championships in 1988 and 1995.
- Gary O'Brien, Principal
- Tim George, Assistant Principal
- Andrew Swiecicki, Assistant Principal
- Laurie Beechman (1953–1998), Broadway actress best known for her performances in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Cats, and Les Misérables.
- Tony Black (born 1951, class of 1970), record-holding jockey in North American Thoroughbred horse racing.
- Leslie Clark (née Slemmer; born 1952, class of 1970), elected as the first female mayor of nearby Woodbury in the city's 148-year history, serving from January 2002 – December 2006.
- Pieter Gaspersz (born 1979; class of 1998), feature film producer and director.
- Brad Strauss, whose number 16 was retired by the Camden Riversharks on September 13, 2007.
- Julianna White (born c. 1989), Miss New Jersey USA 2011.
- School data for Haddon Township High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- Haddon Township High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 29, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 5, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Divisions, West Jersey Football League. Accessed September 25, 2017.
- NJSIAA Football Public School Classifications 2017-2018, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, finalized August 2, 2017. Accessed September 25, 2017.
- Boys Cross Country Group Team Championship History, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 30, 2017.
- Boys Cross Country Sectional Championship History, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 31, 2017.
- Girls Cross Country Group Championship History, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 31, 2017.
- Girls Cross Country Sectional Championship History, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 31, 2017.
- History of the NJSIAA Baseball Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- History of the NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- 2015 Field Hockey Tournament of Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- Public Past State Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- 2015 Soccer Championships Program, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- Staff directory, Haddon Township High School. Accessed September 28, 2017.
- Handbook(1).pdf 2016-17 Student Handbook, Haddon Township High School. Accessed September 28, 2017.
- Wallace, Andy. "Laurie Beechman", The Philadelphia Inquirer, March 10, 1998. Accessed August 19, 2007. "Laurie Beechman, 44, a diminutive singer and actress whose immense talent, energy and heart took her from the stage at Haddon Township High School all the way to Broadway, died Sunday of ovarian cancer at home in White Plains, N.Y."
- Staff. "Black, Star Apprentice Jockey, Nephew of Boulmetis, Ex-Rider", The New York Times, August 30, 1970. Accessed September 28, 2017. "'I practice using the whip on every horse I can,' said Black, who graduated from Haddon Township High School on June 8."
- Leslie Clark - LinkedIn.com. Accessed July 2, 2009.
- Ads: Something To Chew On. Newsweek. "Leslie Clark, the first female mayor in the history of Woodbury, N.J., relied on their magic, too." Accessed July 2, 2009.
- Leslie Slemmer Clark - HTHS 1970. Accessed July 2, 2009.
- Staff. "Triumphant Shawnee fought for every point", The Philadelphia Inquirer, March 3, 2003. Accessed February 5, 2011. "Gaspersz is the source of the biggest controversy since he grew up on Conger but later wrestled for Haddon Township."
- Inquirer Staff. "Sharks fall in final home game", The Philadelphia Inquirer, September 14, 2007. Accessed September 16, 2007. "The team retired the No. 16 worn by second baseman Brad Strauss, a former star at Haddon Township High in Camden County."
- DeCastro, Lavin. "Camco girl to compete in Miss Teen USA Pageant", Courier-Post, July 13, 2006. Accessed February 5, 2011. "Julianna White's senior year of school could be truly memorable. The 17-year-old Haddon Township High School student will represent New Jersey in the Miss Teen USA Pageant which will be broadcast live on NBC Aug 15."
- Haddon Township High School website
- Haddon Township School District
- Haddon Township School District's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Haddon Township School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Haddon Township HS