|Born||8 November 1963|
Malang, East Java, Indonesia
|Service/||Indonesian Air Force , Pilot Corps (transport)|
|Years of service||1986−present|
|Rank||Air chief marshal|
|Commands held||Commander of the Indonesian National Armed Forces |
Chief of Staff of the Indonesian Air Force
Inspector General of the Ministry of Defense (Indonesia)
Military Secretary of the President (Indonesia)
Hadi Tjahjanto (born 8 November 1963) is an air chief marshal in the Indonesian Air Force who is presently the Commander of the Indonesian National Armed Forces. An alumnus of the Indonesian Air Force Academy and Flight School, he was appointed by president Joko Widodo in 2017 as the Commander of the Armed Forces (Panglima).
Formerly also a military secretary to President Joko Widodo, the president nominated him to the People's Representative Council as the sole candidate for the Commander of the Indonesian National Armed Forces (Panglima TNI), replacing Gatot Nurmantyo. He was formally appointed on 8 December 2017.
He is the second officer from Air Force after Air Chief Marshal Djoko Suyanto to hold the similar office in TNI history.
Hadi's father Bambang Sudardo served as a personnel in Abdurrahman Saleh airbase, motivating him to join the Air Force Academy following his graduation from high school. He became a pilot after completing the academy and flight school by 1987, initially becoming a pilot in the same airfield his father served at Malang.
After several years of operating CASA light airlift planes, he was promoted to squadron training officer in 1993, and began operating heavier planes by 1996. He was squadron commander by 1997, moving to Adisumarmo Airport in Surakarta and later to Adisucipto as he continued going up the ranks. Between 2010-2011, he was commander of the Adisumarmo airbase, where he became familiar with then-mayor of Surakarta Joko Widodo. He continued to be the spokesman of the air force (2013) and commander at Abdurrahman Saleh (2015). After Jokowi's election, he was appointed military secretary to the president on 25 July 2015 and obtained a promotion to air vice-marshal.
After his time under the Ministry of State Secretariat, he became the inspector general of the Ministry of Defense and obtained a promotion to air marshal. During his time at the defense ministry, he helped uncover a corruption in the purchase of F-16 and Apache helicopters, where a brigadier general was eventually prosecuted and found guilty.
On 20 January 2017, Jokowi appointed him as the new chief of staff of the Air Force to replace the retiring Agus Supriatna. His name had been nominated as one of three by TNI Commander Gatot Nurmantyo. Along with this promotion, he was made air chief marshal.
Due to Gatot's scheduled retirement in 2018, on 4 December 2017 Jokowi (through Secretary of State Pratikno) submitted a letter to the People's Representative Council through deputy chairman Fadli Zon, nominating Hadi as the sole candidate to replace him.
- Evan Laksmana, 'What can we expect from Indonesia's new defence chief?', 13 December 2017, The Strategist, ASPI.
- Asril, Sabrina (6 December 2017). "8 Fakta Menarik tentang Calon Panglima TNI Hadi Tjahjanto". KOMPAS.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- Evan (12 January 2017). "Hadi Tjahjanto, Pilot Pesawat Angkut Kini Calon KSAU" (in Indonesian). Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- Putra, Erik Purnama (27 July 2015). "Hadi Tjahjanto Promosi Jadi Sekretaris MIliter Presiden Jokowi". Republika Online (in Indonesian). Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- "Calon Panglima TNI baru, Marsekal Hadi Tjahjanto, 'sudah kenal' Presiden Jokowi sejak di Solo". BBC Indonesia (in Indonesian). 5 December 2017. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- Ramdhani, Jabbar (1 December 2016). "Kasus Korupsi F-16, Kemhan: 40 Orang Dapat Pinjaman Duit dari Brigjen Teddy". detiknews (in Indonesian). Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- Halim, Haeril (18 January 2017). "Jokowi installs new Air Force chief of staff". The Jakarta Post.
- Romadoni, Ahmad (18 January 2017). "Jabat KSAU, Hadi Tjahjanto Langsung Berpangkat Marsekal". liputan6.com. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- Saraswati, Patricia Diah Ayu (4 December 2017). "Jenderal Gatot Manut dengan Pilihan Panglima TNI dari Jokowi". CNN Indonesia (in Indonesian). Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- Parameswaran, Prashanth (6 December 2017). "What Does Indonesia's New Military Chief Nomination Mean?". The Diplomat. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- Kuwado, Fabian Januarius (8 December 2017). "Marsekal Hadi Tjahjanto Resmi Jabat Panglima TNI - Kompas.com". KOMPAS.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- Kurniawati, Endri (5 December 2017). "Jika Resmi Dilantik, Hadi Tjahjanto Akan Jadi Panglima TNI dari AU ke-2". Tempo (in Indonesian). Retrieved 6 December 2017.
| Commander of the Indonesian National Armed Forces
| Chief of Staff of Indonesian Air Force