Hadrien Feraud, Jazz-Club Minden/Germany 2012
|Birth name||Hadrien Feraud|
|Born||August 16, 1984|
Hadrien Feraud was born on August 16, 1984 in Paris. In his family music always played a very great role. His parents, who are also musicians, immersed him at a very young age in various musical environments: rock 'n roll, blues, funk, R&B, new wave, and, of course, jazz. Hadrien began studying guitar at age 8, taking lessons from his father. He also had a deep interest in film scores. By the time he was 10 he started picking up bass lines from Earth, Wind & Fire, music of the Motown era, The Police, Eric Clapton, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Prince, Chic, Donald Fagen, ZZ Top, Alanis Morissette, Sheryl Crow, Kool and the Gang, Don Blackman and later also Weather Report, Chick Corea, John McLaughlin and Herbie Hancock. But at first he was actually more interested in playing drums until he received a copy of The Birthday Concert by Jaco Pastorius at age 12. After hearing Jaco Pastorius everything changed. Hadrien immersed himself in profound studies of electric bass, analyzing the techniques of Jaco Pastorius, James Jamerson, Bernard Edwards, Nathan East, Christian McBride, Victor Bailey, Anthony Jackson, Skúli Sverrisson, Gary Willis, Matthew Garrison, Richard Bona, Linley Marthe and Jeff Berlin. Hadrien's talent on bass has become widely known throughout the world.
Between 2003 and now, he has recorded and performed with many renowned musicians: John McLAUGHLIN, Chick COREA ,Lee RITENOUR , HIROMI UEHARA ,Billy Cobham, Gino Vannelli, Jean-Luc Ponty, Bireli Lagrene, Dean Brown, JADA PINKETT SMITH , [[Paco Sery [[Matthew Garrison ,Thundercat, Kamasi Washington Antonio Farao, Otmaro Ruiz, Scott Kinsey, Marvin Smitty Smith David Binney, Louis Cole, Walter Smith 3, [[Gerald Clayton The West Coast Get Down, Virgil Donati Cheik Tidiane Seck, Nguyen Lee, Jean Pierre Como, Jean Marie Ecay, Karim Ziad, [[Dominique DiPiazza, Gary Husband], Andre Cecarelli, Sylvain Luc and many others.
Towards the end of 2004 Hadrien started composing works for his first solo project, in parallel to playing at several clubs and jams in the Paris scene.
In 2006 he finished recording his first solo album "Hadrien Feraud" with a huge number of prestigious guests: John McLaughlin, Bireli Lagrene, Flavio Boltro, Jean-Marie Ecay, Jean-Pierre Como, Marc Berthoumieux, Mokhtar Samba, Jim Grancamp, Jon Grancamp, Dominique di Piazza, Thierry Eliez, Linley Marthe
In 2007 he took part in Chick Corea's trio project. After that he went on tour in North America and Canada. A European tour followed in 2009, as a member of John McLaughlin and the 4th dimension (with Gary Husband on keys and Mark Mondesir on drums).
Hadrien Feraud arranged and produced Bireli Lagrene's album "Electric Side ".
2012 and 2013 touring in US and Europe with Dean Brown Band.
2013 touring with Chick Corea & The Vigil: Chick Corea (keys), Hadrien Feraud (bass) together with Marcus Gilmore on drums (carrying on the lineage of jazz from his grandfather Roy Haynes, saxes, flute, bass clarinet and innovation from Tim Garland and guitarist Charles Altura.
2016 World Tour with Lee RITENOUR 2017 World Toutr with HIROMI UEHARA 2018 Tour with Lee RITENOUR
"Of course... Jaco influenced me. It is the reason why I wanted to become a musician!!" - Hadrien Feraud
"When I heard Jaco and Weather Report the first time, I fell in love. What I love in Jaco’s music are the feelings and images it creates in your mind" Hadrien Feraud
"...for me, he’s the new Jaco [Pastorius]" - John McLaughlin 
"Usually I do what everybody does; each time I hear something that is attractive to my ears, I pick it up when I can." - Hadrien Feraud 
Basses and amps
- Ken Smith Basses Burner 5 String SIGNATURE Hadrien FERAUD sponsorized
- Fodera Beez Elite 5-string (special manufacture)
- F Bass Fretless 5-string Sponsorized
- Godin 5 Acc Fretless with Axon Midi system
- Ken Smith Basses GT 5-String
- 1966 Fender Jazz Bass
- 1973 Fender Precision Bass
- 1967 Höfner
- Mayones "Jabba" Bass Signature Hadrien FERAUD sponsorized
In September 2009, Hadrien and Ken Smith announced the creation of the "Hadrien Feraud Signature Burner", to be made in Japan by Hajime Hirose and SleekElite, under the direction of Ken Smith. Hand built models are scheduled to be released before the end of 2009, with mass-produced simplified models (no exotic tops or woods) to be released in early 2010. Early photographs show the bass with a buckeye burl top, maple neck, ebony fretboard and removable ebony ramp, and it will also featured the Ken Smith 18v preamp, with a Mid Switch for different tones and volume boost.
- Markbass SPONSORIZED System AMP
- Clubs : CMD102P + TRAVELER 102P
- Bigger than Club : F1 or SD800 on 2 cabinets 104HR Standard ( 8 X 10' )
- TC Electronic FX
- Down Beat Critics Poll "Rising Star Electric Bassist of the year" 2008
- Down Beat Critics Poll 2nd position in "Rising Star Electric Bass" 2009
- Bass Player Magazine "Readers Choice Award" Most Exciting new Player 2009
- BASSPLAYER Magazine COVER 2017
- BASSISTE Magazine COVER 2018
- Industrial Zen / John McLaughlin 2006
- Hadrien Feraud / Hadrien Feraud 2007
- Brooklyn, Paris to Clearwater / Chick Corea 2007
- Official Pirate / John McLaughlin and the 4th Dimension 2007
- Floating Point / John McLaughlin 2008
- Bireli Electric Side / Bireli Lagrene 2008
- Christophe et Tony Raymond / Christophe et Tony Raymond 2009
- The Vigil / Chick Corea 2013
- Born in the 80's / Hadrien Feraud 2015
- Spirit Fingers / Greg Spero, Mike Mitchell, Dario Chiazzolino 2018
- "For Jaco it is a fitting tribute; aggressive percussion from Mark Mondesir and Gary Husband supports the skittering and catchy melody as Hadrian Feraud's fretless bass weaves in and out of the interplay by Evans and McLaughlin." see review "Industrial Zen"
- "While McLaughlin’s calling Feraud The New Jaco in recent press reports is more about the young bassist’s already remarkable innovations at the age of twenty-three, hearing him play a Pastorius tune confirmed that Feraud’s already done his share of wood-shedding with the late bassist’s work." road diary 4th dimension / allaboutjazz.com Archived 2008-05-21 at the Wayback Machine.
- Interview 2006
- bassplayer magazin Interview 2007
- Interview 2007 - all about jazz
- Interview 2008 - UK Bass Guitar Magazin
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hadrien Feraud.|