Hafsa bint Umar
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Hazrat Hafsa bint Umar|
|Died||October or November 665 (Sha'aban 45 AH)|
|Known for||Wife of the Islamic prophet Muhammad, Mother of the Believers|
|Spouse(s)||Khunais ibn Hudhaifa (died August 624)
|Parent(s)||Umar ibn Al-Khattab
Zaynab bint Madh'uwn
|Wives of Muhammad|
As soon as Hafsa had completed her waiting period, her father Umar offered her hand to Uthman Ibn 'Affan, and thereafter to Abu Bakr; but they both refused her. When Umar went to Muhammad to complain about this, Muhammad replied, "Allah will marry Uthman to better than your daughter and will marry your daughter to better than Uthman."
Muhammad married Hafsa in Shaaban AH 3 (late January or early February 625). This marriage "gave the Prophet the chance of allying himself with this faithful follower," i.e., Umar, who now became his father-in-law.
According to Islamic tradition, Hafsa had memorized the Qur'an. The copy of Zayd ibn Thabit, which was recorded on the instructions of Abu Bakr, was kept in Hafsa's house. Uthman, when he became Caliph, used Hafsa's copy when he standardized the text of the Qur'an. She is also said to have narrated sixty hadith from Muhammad.
Shia view of Hafsa
- Muhammad ibn Saad, Tabaqat vol. 8. Translated by Bewley, A. (1995). The Women of Madina p. 56. London: Ta-Ha Publishers.
- Muhammad ibn Saad, Tabaqat vol. 3. Translated by Bewley, A. (2013). The Companions of Badr, p. 307. London: Ta-Ha Publishers.
- Ibn Saad/Bewley vol. 8 pp. 56-58. The story is told in five separate traditions.
- Ibn Saad/Bewley vol. 8 p. 58.
- Margoliouth, D. S. (1905). Mohammed and the Rise of Islam, p. 307. New York & London: G. P. Putnam's Sons.
- Bukhari 6:60:201.
- Siddiqi, M. Z. (2006). Hadith Literature: Its Origin, Development, Special Features and Criticism, p. 25. Kuala Lumpar: Islamic Book Trust.
- Ibn Saad/Bewley vol. 8 p. 60.
- Ahmad ibn Muhammad al-Sayyari (2009). Kohlberg, Etan; Amir-Moezzi, Mohammad Ali, eds. "Revelation and Falsification: The Kitab al-qira'at of Ahmad b. Muhammad al-Sayyari: Critical Edition with an Introduction and Notes by Etan Kohlberg and Mohammad Ali Amir-Moezzi" (PDF). Texts and studies on the Qurʼān. BRILL. 4: 103. ISSN 1567-2808.