Hagit Attiya is an Israeli computer scientist who holds the Harry W. Labov and Charlotte Ullman Labov Academic Chair of Computer Science at the Technion – Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa, Israel. Her research is in the area of distributed computing.
Education and career
Attiya was educated at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, earning a B.S. in mathematics and computer science in 1981, a master's degree from the same university in 1983, and a doctorate in 1987, under the supervision of Danny Dolev. After postdoctoral studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, she joined the Technion faculty in 1990.
Awards and honors
In 2011, Attiya and her co-authors Danny Dolev and Amotz Bar-Noy won the Edsger W. Dijkstra Prize in Distributed Computing for their work on implementing shared memory using message passing, published in the Journal of the ACM in 1995. She was also the recipient of the Michael Bruno Memorial Award from Yad Hanadiv in 2011.
- Research papers
- Attiya, Hagit; Bar-Noy, Amotz; Dolev, Danny; Peleg, David; Reischuk, Rüdiger (July 1990), "Renaming in an Asynchronous Environment", Journal of the ACM, 37 (3): 524–548, doi:10.1145/79147.79158.
- Afek, Yehuda; Attiya, Hagit; Dolev, Danny; Gafni, Eli; Merritt, Michael; Shavit, Nir (September 1993), "Atomic Snapshots of Shared Memory" (PDF), Journal of the ACM, 40 (4): 873–890, doi:10.1145/153724.153741.
- Attiya, Hagit; Bar-Noy, Amotz; Dolev, Danny (January 1995), "Sharing Memory Robustly in Message-passing Systems" (PDF), Journal of the ACM, 42 (1): 124–142, doi:10.1145/200836.200869.
- Attiya, Hagit; Welch, Jennifer (2004), Distributed Computing: Fundamentals, Simulations, and Advanced Topics (2nd ed.), Wiley, ISBN 978-0-471-45324-6.
- Attiya, Hagit; Ellen, Faith (2014), Impossibility Results for Distributed Computing (Synthesis Lectures on Distributed Computing Theory), Morgan & Claypool, doi:10.2200/S00551ED1V01Y201311DCT012.
- "The Female Postdoc's Guide to the Galaxy", Focus: e-mag of the Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, May 2011.
- Curriculum vitae, retrieved 2014-07-07.
- Distributed Computing editorial board, retrieved 2014-07-07.
- ACM Fellow citation, retrieved 2014-07-07.
- 2011 Edsger W. Dijkstra Prize in Distributed Computing, Technion, retrieved 2014-07-07.
- Michael Bruno Memorial Award: Hagit Attiya, Computer Sciences 2011, Yad Hanadiv, retrieved 2014-07-07.
- Herlihy, Maurice (March 2000), "Review of Distributed Computing by Attiya and Welch", SIGACT News, 31 (1): 3, doi:10.1145/346048.568464.
- Che, Haoyang (March 2005), "Mastering distributed computing", IEEE Distributed Systems Online, 6 (3)