Hai Lung-class submarine
ROCS Hai Lung (SS-793)
|Operators:||Republic of China Navy|
|Type:||Conventional attack submarine|
|Length:||66.9 m (219 ft)|
|Beam:||8.4 m (28 ft)|
|Draught:||6.7 m (22 ft)|
|Propulsion:||3 × Bronswerk/Stork-Werkspoor RUB 215x12 diesels; 4050 hp|
|Test depth:||300 m|
|Complement:||67 (8 officers)|
The Chien Lung class of submarine, also known as the Hai Lung (Sea Dragon) class, was manufactured in the Netherlands for the Republic of China (Taiwan) and is currently in service with its navy. They are a modified version of the Dutch Navy's Zwaardvis class which itself is based on the US Barbel class.
In 2008, the Pentagon notified the United States Congress of the sale to Taiwan of 32 UGM-84 Harpoon Block II missiles, along with two weapon control systems, other associated equipment and services.
|Hai Lung (SS-793)||15 December 1982||6 October 1986||9 October 1987|
|Hai Hu (SS-794)||December 1982||10 December 1986||9 April 1988|
- Archer-class submarine
- Gotland-class submarine
- Harushio-class submarine
- Kilo-class submarine
- Scorpène-class submarine
- Type 039A submarine
- Type 212 submarine
- Type 214 submarine
- Zwaardvis-class submarine
- "Taiwan to boost submarine force with Harpoon anti-ship missiles: Jane's". AFP. 2005-09-25. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- "Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the United States – UGM-84L HARPOON Block II Missiles" (PDF). DSCA. 2008-10-03. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- Hai Lung (Sea Dragon)-class (Zwaardvis) Submarine - Globalsecurity
- Fast-attack boat efficacy questioned - Taipei Times
- Taiwan Navy Emphasizing Domestic Shipbuilding Program in Ongoing Maritime Restructure - USNI News
- The End of the Flimsy Surface Ship Navy is Here - Combat Reform
- Taiwan seeking Aegis destroyers from U.S.: report - Reuters
- Absalon Class Littoral Support Ships - Defense Media Network
- Why Taiwan Needs Submarines - The Heritage Foundation
- Chien Lung/Hai Lung type for Taiwan - Dutch Submarines