March 29, 1971 |
|Education||Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp|
|Awards||2004: Swiss Textiles Award|
Born in Bogotá, Colombia in 1971, he was adopted at the age of nine months by a French Alsatian family. His adoptive father is a mapmaker. Haider Ackermann spent his childhood in Ethiopia, Chad, Algeria and France before the family moved to the Netherlands.
Inspired by the work of Yves Saint Laurent, he went to Belgium in 1994 and studied fashion design at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp. After five months of internship with John Galliano, he worked as an assistant to one of his teachers, the Belgian designer Wim Neels. In the following years he worked for various brands, including Bernhard Willhelm and Patrick Van Ommeslaeghe before working as a designer for Mayerline.
In 2001, Ackermann created his own label and presented his first women's wear collection in March 2001 during Paris fashion week. His 2002 collection drew the attention of house Ruffo, premium leather clothing specialist, which hired him to direct the spring-summer collections and autumn-winter 2003 for Ruffo Research. In 2005, he signed with the Belgian group bvba 32 and set up his studio in Paris.
Ackermann was one of the designers approached to succeed Galliano at Dior, after declining the proposed succession of Martin Margiela. Karl Lagerfeld saw him to be his ideal successor at Chanel, and some commentators called him a "new Yves Saint-Laurent".
Influenced by cultural differences, Ackermann's fashion contrasts and blends dress codes. The simple cuts of his creations are often asymmetric and sewn of different materials, resolutely modern, dynamic and urban areas, using the resources of the high and low culture, developing type clothing streetwear featuring feminine silhouettes sophisticated and refined. His creations have been worn by Tilda Swinton, Penélope Cruz, Victoria Beckham, Janet Jackson and Kanye West
- 2004: Swiss Textiles Award
- 2012: Fashion Group International Award, presented by Karl Lagerfeld
- Kate Abnett, Berluti Names Haider Ackermann Creative Director businessoffashion.com September 1, 2016
- LUKE LEITCH Why Haider Ackermann’s New Berluti Gig Is Menswear’s Most Tantalizing Appointment vogue.com SEPTEMBER 1, 2016
- Vanessa Friedman, Haider Ackermann Named Creative Director of Berluti The New York Times 2016/09/01
- Megan Gustashaw, Berluti Names Haider Ackermann as Creative Director GQ.com
- Pouliquen, Katell (4 March 2011). "Haider Ackermann, entre épure et volupté". L'Express (in French). Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- Milligan, Lauren (2 December 2010). "No More Menswear". Vogue. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- Milligan, Lauren (19 November 2010). "Karl's Choice". Vogue. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- Socha, Miles (21 November 2013). "Ann Demeulemeester Exits Fashion". WWD. Retrieved 21 November 2013.