|Born||1933 (age 89–90)|
|Alma mater||Technion – Israel Institute of Technology|
|Awards||Israel Defense Prize (3)|
Chief of Staff Citation
|Service/||Military Intelligence Directorate|
Haim Eshed alternatively romanized as Chaim Eshed (Hebrew: חיים אשד; born 1933) is an Israeli visiting professor of aeronautics and astronautics at various space technology research institutions. A retired brigadier general in Israeli Military Intelligence, Eshed was director of space programs for Israel Ministry of Defense for nearly 30 years, is former chair of the Space Committee of the National Council for Research and Development for the Ministry of Science, Technology and Space and a member of the steering committee of Israel Space Agency. Eshed is responsible for the launch of 20 Israeli made satellites, and he is widely cited as the father of Israel's space program.
In 1967, Eshed was awarded the Chief of Staff Citation, the highest non-combat decoration awarded by the IDF. Throughout his career he also received the Israel Defense Prize - the highest civilian defense honor of the State of Israel - three times, but the reasons remain classified.
Eshed served at the highly secretive Unit 81, which provided technological solutions to the IDF's Military Intelligence Directorate.
In 1979, as a colonel in Israel's Military Intelligence Directorate, Eshed proposed the establishment of an independent satellite capability in order to collect intelligence from the Sinai after the withdrawal of Egyptian forces.
When he retired in 2011, he was described in Israeli media as the father of Israel's space capabilities programme.
In December 2020, Eshed claimed in an interview with Israeli national newspaper Yediot Aharonot that the United States government had been in contact with extraterrestrial life for years and had signed secret agreements with a "Galactic Federation" in order to do experiments on Earth, and that there is a joint base underground on Mars where they collaborate with American astronauts. He also stated that US president Donald Trump was aware of this and was "on the verge" of informing everyone of their existence, but was stopped by the "Galactic Federation", who wished to prevent mass hysteria.
The interview, in Hebrew, gained traction after parts were published in English by The Jerusalem Post. UFO investigator Nick Pope told NBC News that the ufology community wanted to know whether Eshed's account is primary or secondary information:
"Either this is some sort of practical joke or publicity stunt to help sell his book, perhaps with something having been lost in translation, or someone in the know is breaking ranks."
The book is The Universe Beyond the Horizon: Conversations with Professor Haim Eshed written by author Hagar Yanai, published in November 2020. In the book, Eshed makes claims that include stories of how aliens prevented potential nuclear disasters, including an unspecified nuclear incident during the Bay of Pigs Invasion.
Isaac Ben-Israel, current chairman of the Israel Space Agency, remarked to The Times of Israel that although Eshed is the father of Israel's space capabilities, he went "too far" with his claims, and it is unlikely that human-alien encounters are occurring. He added that for decades Eshed fancied unconventional interpretations of incoherent space signals that most consider to be of natural origin. In response to queries by NBC News, a NASA spokesperson reaffirmed that "we have yet to find signs of extraterrestrial life".
- "Former Israeli space security chief says aliens exist, humanity not ready". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved December 9, 2020.
- "In the media/ Indian Technology Congress 2019". Consulate General of Israel in Bengaluru. 2019. Retrieved 2021-01-02.
- "The Galactic Federation Book About Aliens Being Real Is By A Fantasy Author [Updated]". Gizmodo Australia. 2020-12-09. Retrieved 2021-01-02.
- "Dr. Chaim Eshed". National Air and Space Museum. 2016-01-16. Retrieved 2021-01-02.
- "ישראל בחלל: עידן החדש ומלא הפתעות". Israel Space Agency (in Hebrew). 2016. Retrieved 2021-01-02.
- "ספר חדש: ניהול פרויקטים של חדשנות טכנולוגית מאת פרופ' חיים אשד". Hayadan (in Hebrew). 2018-10-20. Retrieved 2021-01-02.
- "Students to now launch satellites with Israel's help - The New Indian Express". The New Indian Express. 2019-09-05. Retrieved 2021-01-02.
- "תא"ל (מיל') פרופ' חיים אשד, המולמו"פ: "צריך לחבר בין סייבר, חלל, ננו-טכנולוגיה ורובוטיקה"". PC.co.il (in Hebrew). 2014-03-26. Retrieved 2021-01-02.
- "אתגרים ומגמות בטכנולוגיות החלל - לווינים קטנים וזעירים". Tel Aviv University (in Hebrew). 2013. Retrieved 2021-01-02.
- ""האמריקאים הולכים לכסות את החלל בלוויינים זעירים, ואנחנו נשארנו מאחור"". Yedioth Ahronoth (in Hebrew). 2017-04-17. Retrieved 2021-01-02.
- Nair, Kiran Krishan (2006). Space: The Frontiers of Modern Defence. KnowledgeWorld . p. 159. ISBN 978-81-87966-44-9.
- "Aliens exist and Trump knows this but won't say anything in case we panic, claims Israeli scientist". The Independent. 2020-12-09. Retrieved 2020-12-09.
- "Aliens exist and Trump almost let it slip, says Israeli professor and former space official". news.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2020-12-09.
- name="Former Israeli space security chief says extraterrestrials exist">Suliman, Adela; Goldman, Paul (December 8, 2020). "Former Israeli space security chief says extraterrestrials exist, and Trump knows about it". NBC News. Retrieved December 9, 2020.
- "Who is Haim Eshed? Israel ex-space security boss says aliens exist, 'Galactic Federation' in touch with them, US".
- Katz, Yaakov; Hendel, Yoaz (2012). Israel vs. Iran: The Shadow of War (1st ed.). Dulles, Virginia: Potomac Books. ISBN 978-1-59797-886-6. Retrieved December 9, 2020.
- Williams, Dan (June 10, 2007). "Eyes on Iran, Israel launches new spy satellite". Reuters. Retrieved December 9, 2020.
- Jeffay, Nathan. "Israeli space chief says aliens may well exist, but they haven't met humans". www.timesofisrael.com. Retrieved 2020-12-10.
- ""העב"מים ביקשו לא לפרסם שהם כאן, האנושות עדיין לא מוכנה"". www.yediot.co.il. 2 December 2020. Retrieved 2020-12-10.
- ""Aliens Exist," Says Former Israeli Space Chief; Alleges Contact Between Extraterrestrials and US President Donald Trump". The Weather Channel. Retrieved 2020-12-09.
- "Former Israeli space security chief says aliens exist, humanity not ready". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 2020-12-10.
- "Former Israeli space chief says aliens exist, and Trump knows about it". NBC News. Retrieved 2020-12-10.
- Thaidigsmann, Michael (2020-12-08). ""Außerirdische bereits in Kontakt mit Erde"". Jüdische Allgemeine (in German). Retrieved 2020-12-12.
- "Forget Trump and Bibi. You'd much rather read about the alien Galactic Federation". Haaretz. Retrieved 2020-12-12.