Haines Falls, New York
Haines Falls is a hamlet (and census-designated place) located east of Tannersville in the Town of Hunter, in Greene County, New York, United States. Haines Falls is located at 42°11′45″N 74°5′49″W / 42.19583°N 74.09694°W. The hamlet of Haines Falls was always a mountain resort town, unlike Hunter and Palenville which had tanneries. Haines Falls is at the head of Kaaterskill Clove and is the former site of the Catskill Mountain House, Kaaterskill Hotel, and Laurel House which sat atop the famous Kaaterskill Falls. In 1825, Thomas Cole, founder of the Hudson River School of landscape painters, did his first Catskill mountain paintings in Haines Falls: Lake with Dead Trees at South Lake and the Kaaterskill Falls.
Major highways in Haines Falls include State Route 23A, Clum Hill Road, North Lake Road, and County Route 25. Horseshoe Bend is the location of many vehicle accidents and hikers who tumble off the falls. The town elevation ranges from 1500' to 2200' above sea level making it the highest unincorporated town in New York state.
- ^ "State of New York Census Designated Places - Current/BAS20 - Data as of January 1, 2019". tigerweb.geo.census.gov. Retrieved 2020-02-24.
- ^ "Town of Hunter, New York - Communities in Hunter". Archived from the original on 2009-10-04. Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- ^ "Haines Falls Populated Place Profile / Greene County, New York Data". newyork.hometownlocator.com. Retrieved 2020-01-10.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- High Peaks Hiking in Hunter Area Catskill 3500 Club
- Town of Hunter Government Website and Area Information
- Town of Hunter Chamber of Commerce
- Online Guide to the Catskill Mountains
- The Catskill Archive - history of the Catskill Mtns.
- Hunter Public Library
- Mountain Top Library
- Mountain Top Historical Society