Hairspray: The School Musical
|Hairspray: The School Musical|
|Presented by||Denise van Outen|
Benjamin Endsley Klein
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||8|
|Running time||45 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Mentorn Media
for Sky Television
|Original release||31 August 2008 – October 2008|
The series is presented by musical theatre actor Denise van Outen, narrated by Rich Rust and features vocal coach Zoë Tyler and choreographer Stacey Haynes as mentors to the students of Kingsmead School, a comprehensive secondary school with specialist performing and visual arts status in Enfield, North London. It follows the production from auditions to its first performance, held at London's Lyric Theatre on 31 August 2008. There was also a behind the scenes section of the programme, posted online, hosted by Ben James-Ellis, the West End's Link Larkin. Two members of the Broadway production team - Benjamin Endsley Klein (directing) and Danny Austin (choreography) - serve as consultants to the school production.
In The Guardian, Lucy Mangan said that although she was not expecting the programme to provide "an enjoyable hour's entertainment", "the unforced charm and ebullience of very northest[clarification needed] London's juvenile population quickly swept the viewer up" and that she would be watching "another gloriously uplifting hour next week". Theatre columnist Mark Shenton, having seen the finished production, suggested that although the series shows "inevitably a heightened version of the experience of putting on a show [...] it will surely encourage [the young actors] to do so again". He also noted that the West End production of Hairspray "is sure to be the first winner, as audiences follow the TV experience by seeing it live for themselves".
The first episode attracted almost 500,000 viewers, leading Richard Woolfe, the controller of Sky1, to suggest that the series could continue with other productions: "I have a sneaking suspicion we will be coming back for a bit more. Whatever the viewing figures ... we have changed lives."
- "Mentorn Media to Produce Hairspray Summer Event for Sky One". Mentorn Media. Retrieved 7 September 2008.
- "Cast". Hairspray School Musical. Sky. Retrieved 7 September 2008.
- "Kingsmead School - Home Page". Retrieved 7 September 2008.
- Shenton, Mark (31 August 2008). "Students Perform Hairspray in London Aug. 31 as "Hairspray: The School Musical" TV Series Begins". Playbill.com. Retrieved 7 September 2008.
- Shenton, Mark (1 September 2008). "From High School Musical to the real deal….". The Stage. Retrieved 7 September 2008.
- Mangan, Lucy (2 September 2008). "Cable Girl". The Guardian. Retrieved 7 September 2008.
- Holmwood, Leigh (2 September 2008). "Sky1 cues up more school musicals". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 7 September 2008.
- "Grease". Grease School Musical. Sky 1.