The Gate of Sun Yat-Sen University
Haizhu in Guangzhou
|• Total||90.4 km2 (34.9 sq mi)|
|• Density||9,900/km2 (26,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
|Canton Romanization||Hoi2-ju1 Kêu1|
|Hanyu Pinyin||Hǎizhū Qū|
|Literal meaning||Sea Pearl|
|Literal meaning||South of the River|
Haizhu District originally consisted of Henan or Honam Island ("South of the River"), across the Pearl River from the old city of Guangzhou (then known as "Canton"). Its main community was also known by the same name and surrounded the Hoi Tong Monastery. From 1856 to 1859, trading companies associated with foreign traders under the Canton System temporarily relocated to the district after the Thirteen Factories site was destroyed in a fire.
Haizhu was once the largest district in Guangzhou, its southernmost and its least dense. With the expansion of Guangzhou, it no longer holds any of these titles. Although less built-up than Liwan and Yuexiu Districts, Haizhu now has some of the most expensive real estate in the city. Its riverfront now has some of the tallest and most expensive residential buildings in Guangzhou.
|Name||Chinese (S)||Hanyu Pinyin||Canton Romanization||Population (2010)||Area (km2)|
|Binjiang Subdistrict||滨江街道||Bīnjiāng Jiēdào||ben1 gong1 gai1 dou6||72,324||16.07|
|Changgang Subdistrict||昌岗街道||Chānggǎng Jiēdào||cêng1 gong1 gai1 dou6||97,986||1.96|
|Chigang Subdistrict||赤岗街道||Chìgǎng Jiēdào||cég3 gong1 gai1 dou6||114,978||5.73|
|Fengyang Subdistrict||凤阳街道||Fèngyáng Jiēdào||fung6 yêng4 gai1 dou6||162,641||9.30|
|Guanzhou Subdistrict||官洲街道||Guānzhōu Jiēdào||gun1 zeo1 gai1 dou6||57,869||11.20|
|Haichuang Subdistrict||海幢街道||Hǎichuáng Jiēdào||hoi2 cong4 gai1 dou6||62,884||1.45|
|Huazhou Subdistrict||华洲街道||Huázhōu Jiēdào||wa4 zeo1 gai1 dou6||49,742||12.2|
|Jianghai Subdistrict||江海街道||Jiānghǎi Jiēdào||gong1 hoi2 gai1 dou6||115,157||5.30|
|Jiangnanzhong Subdistrict||江南中街道||Jiāngnánzhōng Jiēdào||gong1 nam4 zung1 gai1 dou6||75,220||2.36|
|Longfeng Subdistrict||龙凤街道||Lóngfèng Jiēdào||lung4 fung6 gai1 dou6||102,561||2.38|
|Nanhuaxi Subdistrict||南华西街道||Nánhuáxī Jiēdào||nam4 wa4 sei1 gai1 dou6||37,960||1.10|
|Nanshitou Subdistrict||南石头街道||Nánshítou Jiēdào||nam4 ség6 teo4 gai1 dou6||123,043||4.80|
|Nanzhou Subdistrict||南洲街道||Nánzhōu Jiēdào||nam4 zeo1 gai1 dou6||84,726||12.30|
|Pazhou Subdistrict||琶洲街道||Pázhōu Jiēdào||pa4 zeo1 gai1 dou6||29,851||10.00|
|Ruibao Subdistrict||瑞宝街道||Ruìbǎo Jiēdào||sêu 6bou2 gai1 dou6||125,399||6.30|
|Shayuan Subdistrict||沙园街道||Shāyuán Jiēdào||sa1 yun4 gai1 dou6||67,322||1.44|
|Sushe Subdistrict||素社街道||Sùshè Jiēdào||sou3 se5 gai1 dou6||67,103||1.68|
|Xingang Subdistrict||新港街道||Xīngǎng Jiēdào||sen1 gong2 gai1 dou6||111,897||3.85|
The main campus of Sun Yat-Sen University is located in Haizhu, as well as the Guangzhou Fine Arts Academy. Right across the street from the Sun Yat-Sen University is the South Sea Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences. The Guangzhou No.6 High School alongside the university is one of the best in the city, containing programs that follow the American curriculum.
Guangzhou's Metro Line 8's eastern end is in Haizhu. Metro Lines 3 runs from north to south through the District, while line 5, currently under construction, will also have stations in it. Another metro line, the Guangfo Line, is currently under construction and will connect Guangzhou and Foshan, a city just west of Guangzhou. When built, it will be the only metro line connecting two cities in China.
Haizhu is currently serviced by five metro lines operated by Guangzhou Metro:
- Line 2 - The 2nd Workers' Cultural Palace, Jiangnan West, Changgang ( ), Jiangtai Lu, Dongxiao South, Nanzhou ( )
- Line 3 - Canton Tower ( ), Kecun ( ), Datang, Lijiao ( )
- Line 4 - Wanshengwei ( ), Guanzhou
- Line 8 - Tongfu West (u/c), Fenghuang Xincun, Shayuan ( ), Baogang Dadao, Changgang ( ), Xiaogang, Sun Yat-sen University, Lujiang, Kecun ( ), Chigang, Modiesha, Xingang East, Pazhou, Wanshengwei ( )
- Zhujiang APM - Canton Tower ( )
The artists cooperative Park19 has facilities on Haizhu.
- Haizhu District
- shi, Guo wu yuan ren kou pu cha ban gong; council, Guo jia tong ji ju ren kou he jiu ye tong ji si bian = Tabulation on the 2010 population census of the people's republic of China by township / compiled by Population census office under the state; population, Department of; statistics, employment statistics national bureau of (2012). Zhongguo 2010 nian ren kou pu cha fen xiang, zhen, jie dao zi liao (Di 1 ban. ed.). Beijing Shi: Zhongguo tong ji chu ban she. ISBN 978-7-5037-6660-2.
- "Company Profile." 7 Days Inn. Retrieved on October 24, 2012. "5C-11 Creative Industry Zone, 397 XinGangZhong Road, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510310, People’s Republic of China"
- "about_building.html." (Select the "联系方式" tab) 7 Days Inn. Retrieved on October 24, 2012. "【总部】广州市海珠区新港中路397号TIT创意园5C大道11号"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Haizhu District.|