This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Current owner(s)||Haji Mohammad Shahed|
|Previous owner(s)||Haji Mohammad Hossain, Haji Mohammad Golam Hossain|
|Food type||Chevon (goat's meat) biryani|
|Street address||70 Kazi Alauddin Road, Nazira Bazar, Old Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|Country||British Raj (present-day Bangladesh)|
Haji Biriyani (also known as Hajir Biriyani) is one of the restaurants founded in 1939 in the British Raj, in the heart of Old Dhaka (present-day Bangladesh), selling chevon biryani (dish made with highly seasoned rice and goat's meat). The restaurant also sells borhani (a salted mint drink made of yogurt) and soft drinks. In 1939 the restaurant was started as a roadside food corner by a person named Haji Mohammad Hossain. Later on the business took dramatic change and became part of the culture of Dhaka city.
The business was started on 1939 by a cook named Haji Mohammad Hossain. After Haji Mohammad Hossain died in 1992, his son, Haji Mohammad Golam Hossain took over and continued the family business without making any changes in style and tradition. By the passage of time Haji Mohammad Golam became tired by running the family business and finally handed over the business to his son, Haji Mohammad Shahed.
The Haji Biriyani has three branches. One is in Old Dhaka which is the main branch, one is in Motijheel, and another in the Rainkhola Bazar. In Old Dhaka, it is located at 70 Kazi Alauddin Road, Nazira Bazar.
The recipe includes highly seasoned rice, chevon, mustard oil, garlic, onion, black pepper, saffron, clove, cardamom, cinnamon, salt, lemon, dahi (yogurt), peanuts, cream, raisin and small amount of cheese (either cow or buffalo). The recipe has been handed over the founder of the restaurant to his next generation. Haji Mohammad Shahed claimed that, “I have never changed anything, not even the amount of salt”.
- Sakhawat, Adil (8 March 2013). "Haji Biriyani: The Scintillating Taste from Old Dhaka". Daily Sun. Archived from the original on May 18, 2015. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "The Flavour of Dhaka - by Md Shahnawaz Khan Chandan". www.facebook.com.
- "Haji Biriyani". Dhaka Foodies. Dhaka Foodies. Archived from the original on March 15, 2015. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "Hajir Biriyani". Google. Google. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "Haji Biriyani". Dhaka Foodies. Dhaka Foodies. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- Mydans, Seth (8 July 1987). "FOR A SECRET STEW RECIPE, TIME IS RUNNING OUT". New York Times. New York Times. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "A Mouthful of Happiness". The Daily Star. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Dhaka Calling: A Monthly Tourist Guide". Dhaka Calling. Archived from the original on December 31, 2012. Retrieved 16 May 2015.