|Born||August 29, 1986 (age 34)|
Ōyama, Ōita, Japan
|Known for||Attack on Titan|
|Awards||Kodansha Manga Award (2011)|
Harvey Award (2014)
Hajime Isayama (諫山 創, Isayama Hajime, born August 29, 1986) is a Japanese manga artist. His first and currently ongoing series, Attack on Titan, has become one of the best-selling manga series of all time with 100 million copies in circulation as of December 2019.
Isayama was born in Ōyama, Ōita Prefecture, Japan, which is now part of Hita. It was in high school, Hita Rinko Senior High School, that he began submitting manga works to contests. After graduating, he matriculated in the manga design program of the arts department at Kyushu Designer Gakuen. In 2006, he applied for the Magazine Grand Prix known as MGP promoted by Kodansha Ltd. and a short version of Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) was given the "Fine Work" award. At age twenty, he moved to Tokyo and worked at an Internet café in order to pursue a career in manga. This one-shot would later be included in the series' guidebook and included with the first Blu-ray of the anime adaptation.
Originally, he also offered his work to the Weekly Shōnen Jump department at Shueisha, where he was advised to modify his style and story to be more suitable for Weekly Shōnen Jump. He declined and decided instead to take it to the Weekly Shōnen Magazine department at Kodansha Ltd.
In 2008, he applied for the 80th Weekly Shōnen Magazine Freshman Manga Award, where his work Heart Break One was given the Special Encouragement Award. His other work, Orz, was chosen as a selected work in the same contest the following year.
In 2009, his first serial work, Attack on Titan, started in the monthly Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine. It won the Shōnen category of the 35th Kodansha Manga Award in 2011, and was nominated for both the 4th annual Manga Taishō award and the 16th annual Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize. Attack on Titan is released in English by Kodansha USA and has inspired five spin-off manga series, three light novel series, a televised anime adaptation, several visual novels and video games, and a two part live-action film. The resort Bungo Oyama Hibiki no Sato in his hometown of Ōyama, ran a free exhibit displaying copies of Isayama's manuscripts for the manga in 2013. A special Attack on Titan event was held in Hita on November 1, 2014, with Isayama and approximately 2,500 spectators attending. The following day, Isayama gave a speech at the Patria Hita cultural hall and was officially named the Tourism Ambassador of Hita by the city's mayor Keisuke Harada. In December 2018, he announced in his blog that he had gotten married earlier that year.
|Attack on Titan
(進撃の巨人 Shingeki no Kyojin)
|Heart Break One
(ハート ブレイク ワン Hāto Bureiku Wan)
|Attack on Titan
(進撃の巨人 Shingeki no Kyojin)
Kodansha USA (English)
|Attack on Titan Inside
(進撃の巨人 INSIDE 抗 Shingeki no Kyojin Inside Kou)
|2013||Character profiles, interviews|
|Attack on Titan Outside
(進撃の巨人 OUTSIDE 攻 Shingeki no Kyojin OUTSIDE Osamu)
|2013||Concept art, interviews. Includes a draft from chapter 1 (2009)|
|Attack on Avengers||2014||Brutus (Japanese)
Colossal Edition Vol. 2 by Kodansha USA (English)
|Crossover with Marvel Comics.
Story by Isayama, art by Axel Alonso and Joe Quesada.
|The Killing Pawn
(ザ・キリング・ポーン Za Kiringu Pōn)
|2014||One-shot; art by Ryōji Minagawa|||
|2006||Magazine Grand Prix||Fine Work||Attack on Titan (one-shot version)||Won|
|2008||80th Weekly Shōnen Magazine Freshman Manga Award||Special Encouragement Award||Heart Break One||Won|
|2008||81st Weekly Shōnen Magazine Freshman Manga Award||Selected Work||Orz||Won|
|2011||35th Kodansha Manga Award||Shōnen||Attack on Titan||Won|
|2014||17th Micheluzzi Awards||Best Foreign Series||Attack on Titan||Won|
|2014||27th Harvey Award||Best American Edition of Foreign Material||Attack on Titan (published by Kodansha USA)||Won|
- Sherman, Jennifer (2018-12-31). "Attack on Titan Creator Announces His Marriage". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2019-01-05.
- Harding, Daryl (2019-12-24). "'Attack on Titan' Manga Releases Over 100 Million Copies Worldwide". Crunchyroll. Retrieved 2020-04-07.
- "'Attack on Titan' author expresses fears through popular boys' manga". Asahi Shimbun. 2013-07-20. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "7月期MGP結果大発表!!" [MGP results for July!!]. 講談社コミックプラス. Kodansha. 2009. Archived from the original on July 3, 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-30.
- "'Attack on Titan' exhibition held in manga artist Hajime Isayama's hometown". Asahi Shimbun. 2013-04-15. Archived from the original on 2013-11-02. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- Loo, Egan (2013-05-07). "1st Attack on Titan Blu-ray/DVD to Bundle Manga 'Prototype'". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- Isayama, Hajime. "Transformation!!!!". Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "ANIME NEWS: 'Attack On Titan' anime adaptation to hit the small screen in spring". Asahi Shimbun. 2012-12-28. Archived from the original on 2013-11-02. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- Loo, Egan (2011-01-16). "13 Titles Nominated for 4th Manga Taisho Awards". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- Loo, Egan (2012-02-10). "16th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize Nominees Announced". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- Hodgkins, Crystalyn (2014-11-04). "Attack on Titan Creator Named Tourism Ambassador of Hometown". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- "第80回新人漫画賞" [The 80th Annual Newcomer Awards] (Select 第80回 on the drop-down menu). Shonen Magazine (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "第81回新人漫画賞" [The 81st Annual Newcomer Awards] (Select 第81回 on the drop-down menu). Shonen Magazine (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- Melrose, Kevin (2014-11-06). "New "Attack on Titan"/Marvel Crossover Details Revealed". CBR. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "諫山創×皆川亮二がタッグ！進撃以外の初作品" [Hajime Isayama × Ryoji Minagawa collaboration! First work besides 'Attack on Titan']. Natalie (in Japanese). 2014-07-29. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "Vincitori Premi Micheluzzi 2014" [2014 Micheluzzi Awards Winners]. Comicon.it (in Italian). 2014-05-07. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- Mahoney, Rachel (2014-09-09). "'Attack on Titan' Manga Wins 2014 Harvey Award". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2018-09-02.