Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Nationality||United States of America|
|Home town||Los Angeles, California|
Hakeem Khaaliq (also Hakeem Abdul-Khaaliq) is an American cinematographer, television producer, film director, photographer, multi-media activist, graphic design artist, and visual anthropologist. Before his career in film and television he worked as a music producer, music publisher, music supervisor and radio personality. In 1995 Khaaliq founded Radio Bums® and in 2010 he co-founded Nation19 magazine / APDTA with longtime partner Queen Muhammad Ali.
Early life and career
Khaaliq was born and raised in South Central, Los Angeles, CA. His dad was a stuntman with work featured in the film The Spook Who Sat By The Door. Khaaliq is also the great nephew to prominent photographer Addison N. Scurlock. Khaaliq credits longtime family friend Howard Bingham and his mentor Jamel Shabazz as his greatest influences in photography. Early in his career, Khaaliq began directing and producing documentary films (the first film he directed starred Snoop Dogg and Sean Puffy Combs), but his passion for social change and activism led him to direct and produce films focusing on pressing global issues.
- 2017 Artist Research and Development Grants recipients
- Winner of Best Short Documentary 24th annual Pan African Film Festival, February 2016 (Co-Director)
- Mutianyu Fellowship Residency Awardees, Beijing, China, September 2016
Film and television
- The Last Matai
- #War on Us - United Nations (UNGASS)
- Bigg Snoop Dogg, Raw N Uncut
- The Tale of Timmy Two Chins - Showtime
- Judge Lauren Lake's Paternity Court for MGM Television.
- ¿Quiénes son los Afro-Mexicanos?
- T.I.'s Road To Redemption - MTV
- Beauty Shop - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM)
- Adventures in Hollyhood - MTV
- Made in Amerikkka
- Tha Bizness.
Music videos and commercials
- Adidas (Kobe Bryant)  (Treatment writer)
- Honolulu - Tassho Pearce (EMIRC),
- Motown / Universal Records - Oopdeewopdee - NSS16 featuring David Banner, and Aloe Blacc.
- PF Changs
- Pei Wei Asian Diner 
- Bar Louie,
- Nation19 Magazine 
Designer and multimedia
Michael Jackson commissioned Khaaliq and his partner Queen Muhammad Ali to design a cover for his "This Is It" London tour. The work included the design of The Earth Song website, design of MichaelJacksonCO.com website, print campaigns and the design of The Earth Song Logo.
Music producer / Remixer / Composer
- In 2003, co-producer and writer of Universal Records single Oopdeewopdee featuring David Banner and Aloe Blacc
- He is the co-producer of the nationally syndicated radio show Hip Hop Block Party, with Ed Lover and DJ Mr. Vince.
- In 2005, he produced, published and co-wrote the song "Say It Loud", featuring Tank, WC, Kam, Frost, Da Lench Mob Shorty, Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E., RBX.
- In 2007, Khaaliq co-produced the single "Room Service", which was a collaboration between Tassho Pearce and Turntablist DJ QBert.
- In 2008, Khaaliq co-produced "Return to the Basics" for Honolulu Hawaii hip-hop artist Tassho Pearce, featuring Grammy Award-winners Dilated Peoples' DJ Babu and Evidence.
- Michael Roberts (22 October 2006). "United They Stand". Westword.
- Dave Herrera (October 23, 2006). "Bums Rushed".
- Mehle, Michael (February 28, 2006). "FILM TO SHED LIGHTING ON HIDDEN HIP-HOP". Newspaper. Retrieved 14 July 2016 – via Rocky Mountain News (Denver, CO).
- "Africana Studies Program: Bars4Justice Film Screening". The University of Arizona College of Humanities.
- Champion, Micheal. "The world is yours, Kemp Powers Hits Nine spots on the global music Map". Blaze / from the Vibe camp. p. 100.
- Armstrong, Mark F. "Hip Hop's Heartland". The Source. p. 54.
- Grimes, Rodney. "African Diaspora Authority Dr. Runoko Rashidi Lectures In Arizona For First Time" – via The Arizona Informant.
- "Harry Abdul Moore". IMDb. Retrieved February 10, 2017.
- Roth, Tyler. "Hakeem Khaaliq Biography". IMDB. Retrieved February 12, 2017.
- Turnbull, Arthur. "ENTRY POINTS - Hakeem Khaaliq". entrypoints.xyz. Retrieved February 10, 2017.
- Turnbull, Arthur. "ENTRY POINTS Episode 6: 006 - Nation19". entrypoints.xyz. Retrieved February 10, 2017.
- "2017 Artist Research and Development Grants - Arizona Commission on the Arts". Arizona Commission on the Arts. December 20, 2016. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- "Film/Video Maker". www.twn.org. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- Khaaliq, Hakeem (2000-01-01), The Last Matai, retrieved March 5, 2016
- Ali, Queen Muhammad; Khaaliq, Hakeem (April 19, 2016), #WarOnUs, retrieved 2016-03-28
- "#Bars4Justice (trailer)". Vimeo. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- "Saturday "Gayle on the Go!", Saturday, February 13th, 2016". KTLA. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- "Black African Coalition brings award-winning documentary, #Bars4Justice, to ASU". www.statepress.com. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- Khaaliq, Hakeem (July 8, 2003), Bigg Snoop Dogg Raw N Uncut Volume 1 DVD, Radio Bums, retrieved March 5, 2016
- "The Tale of Timmy Two Chins (2013)". IMDB.
- Hakeem Khaaliq on IMDb
- "¿Quiénes son los afro-mexicanos?". Univision.com. Archived from the original on 2014-11-11.
- "Culture Clash: New Univision TV Documentary Reveals Afro-Mexican Struggle for Identity". EBONY.
- "T.I.'s Road to Redemption Crew". IMDB. IMDB.com.
- "FILM TO SHED LIGHTING ON HIDDEN HIP-HOP.(Entertainment/Weekend/Spotlight)".
- colarally (July 15, 2006), KOBE ADIDAS Commercial, retrieved 2016-03-28
- "Honolulu". Vimeo.
- "Nasty News".
- P.F. Chang's (June 20, 2013), P.F. Chang's Summer Vegetable Quinoa "Fried Rice", retrieved 2016-03-05
- Pei Wei (July 9, 2012), Pei Wei InspirAsia 2012 Trip Summary, retrieved 2016-03-05
- Nation19APDTA (February 13, 2016), #Bars4Jusice film LA premier, Russell Simmons All Def Digital Awards, DGA, retrieved March 28, 2016
- Nation19APDTA (2015-12-18), Native Pharaoh™, retrieved March 28, 2016
- "'Redemption' Hip Hop United to Save Stan Tookie Williams".
- "Return to the Basics by Tassho Pearce a.k.a. EMIRC on iTunes". iTunes. Retrieved June 27, 2016.