Hakluyt & Company
|Type||Private limited company|
|Founders||Christopher James, Mike Reynolds|
|Paul Deighton, Director|
Varun Chandra, Director
Jean Veronica Tomlin Russell, Director
Leslie Gordon Fagen, Director
Nicholas John Barnes, Director
Holly Morrow, Director
|Revenue||£59.1 million (2018), £84.9 million (2021)|
|£12.1 million (2018), £17.4 million (2021)|
Hakluyt & Company is a British strategic advisory firm. The company is headquartered in London and has subsidiary offices in New York, Dallas, San Francisco, Tokyo, Frankfurt, Singapore, Mumbai, Chicago and Sydney.
Hakluyt avoids publicity, but is regarded as having a reputation for discretion and effectiveness among its client base. Hakluyt was founded by former officials of the British Secret Intelligence Service (MI6). The company has recruited several former British spies and journalists from The Financial Times.
Hakluyt's international advisory board comprises senior figures with backgrounds in business and government. It is chaired by Niall FitzGerald, KBE, former CEO and chairman of Unilever, and its current members are:
- M. S. Banga – partner at Clayton, Dubilier & Rice and former chairman and managing director, Hindustan Unilever
- Professor Sir John Bell – Regius Professor of Medicine at the University of Oxford
- Sir Douglas Flint CBE – chairman, Standard Life Aberdeen
- Dr Jurgen Grossmann – founder and shareholder, Georgsmarienhutte Holding GmbH
- Muhtar Kent – former CEO and chairman, The Coca-Cola Company
- Irene Lee – chairman, Hysan Development Co. Limited
- Sir Iain Lobban – former director, UK Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ)
- Trevor Manuel – former minister of finance, South Africa
- Lubna Olayan – CEO and deputy chairperson, Olayan Financing Company
- Sandi Peterson – former group worldwide chairman, Johnson & Johnson and independent director, Microsoft Corporation
- Alfonso Prat-Gay – former minister of the economy and President of the Central Bank of Argentina
- Sir John Rose – former chairman, Hakluyt & Company
- Shuzo Sumi – former president and chairman, Tokio Marine Holdings and chairman of the board, Sony Corporation
- Ambassador Louis Susman – former US ambassador to the UK
- Ratan Tata, GBE – chairman emeritus, Tata Sons
The former president and chairman of Mitsubishi Corporation, Minoru (Ben) Makihara, KBE, served on the advisory board of the firm from 2004 to 2020.
- "Hakluyt & Company Limited". Retrieved 16 June 2020.
- "From guard dogs and fences to business intelligence". Financial Times. 27 June 2007. Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- Sharon Lafraniere, John F. Burns (11 April 2012). "Briton's Wanderings Led Him to Heart of a Chinese Scandal". Washington Post. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- Stephen Robinson (30 March 2012). "MI6, a death in China and the very secretive Mayfair company full of spooks". Evening Standard. London. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- Burgis, Tom (13 January 2017). "Trump dossier throws light on murky world of private intelligence". The Financial Times.