Hal and Sidra Stone
|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Hal Stone (born December 14, 1927) and Sidra Stone (born April 15, 1937) are American authors, psychotherapists and the creators of Voice Dialogue.
Hal Stone received a Ph.D. in psychology from UCLA in 1953. He served as a psychologist in the U.S. Navy from 1953 to 1957. He completed training at the C.G. Jung Institute of Los Angeles in 1961 and practiced as an analyst until he left the Jung Institute in 1970 and formally resigned in 1974. In 1973, Stone established the Center for the Healing Arts, a holistic health school in the United States.
Sidra Stone was born Sidra Levi in Brooklyn, New York. She received a B.A. from Barnard in 1957 and a Ph.D. from the University of Maryland in 1962. She worked in community mental health, for the Veterans Administration, and in private practice as a psychotherapist. She was the Executive Director of Hamburger Home, a residential treatment center for adolescent girls, from 1972 to 1979.
Hal Stone's daughter, J. Tamar Stone, followed in her father's footsteps. She practices Voice Dialogue in Boulder, Colorado.
Psychology of Selves
Psychology of Selves is Hal and Sidra Stone’s theoretical framework for the Voice Dialogue method. It models how the selves develop and interact with one another in relationships. It also defines their definition of consciousness. According to the Psychology of Selves, consciousness is composed of three dimensions:
- the Experience of the Selves
- Aware Ego - the middle ground that lies between a primary self and its opposite disowned self.
Under the theory, Voice Dialogue is the technique for implementing the theory and "primary selves" are those selves that emerged in our maturation process to protect the inner child from pain and allow us to reach our goals.
- Stone, H., Embracing Heaven and Earth. Devorss & Co, 1985. - ISBN 0-87516-547-8
- Stone, H., Stone, S., Embracing Each Other: How to Make All Your Relationships Work for You. Delos Publications, 1989. - ISBN 1-56557-062-6
- Stone, H., Stone, S., Embracing Our Selves: The Voice Dialogue Manual. Nataraj Publishing, 1993. - ISBN 1-882591-06-2
- Stone, H., Stone S., Embracing Your Inner Critic: Turning Self-Criticism into a Creative Asset. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco, 1993. - ISBN 0-06-250757-5
- Stone, S., Stone, H., You Don't Have to Write a Book!. Delos Publications, 1998. - ISBN 1-56557-060-X
- Stone, S., The Shadow King: The Invisible Force That Holds Women Back. Backinprint, 1998. - ISBN 0-595-13755-5
- Stone, H., Stone S., Partnering: A New Kind of Relationship. New World Library, 2000. - ISBN 1-57731-107-8
- Stone, H., Stone, S., (Editing & Reflections by Dianne Braden), "THE FIRESIDE CHATS with Hal and Sidra Stone" Delos Publications, 2011 - ISBN 978-1-56557-039-9
- "About Us", Sidra and Hal Stone's Website, accessed January 5, 2011.