Halden Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
|Halden Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||35.8 sq mi (92.7 km2)|
|• Land||35.8 sq mi (92.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,257 ft (383 m)|
|• Density||3.6/sq mi (1.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0664370|
Laurie Road, Floodwood Road, Evergreen Road, and Savanna Road are four of the main routes in the township. Floodwood is nearby.
Halden Township was named for Odin Haldin, a county official.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.8 square miles (93 km2), all of it land.
The East Savanna River flows through the township.
A small part of Savanna Portage State Park is located within the southwest corner of Halden Township. The majority of the state park is located within adjacent Aitkin County.
Adjacent townships, cities, and communities
The following are adjacent to Halden Township :
- Van Buren Township (northeast)
- The city of Floodwood (northeast)
- Floodwood Township (east)
- Fine Lakes Township (southeast)
- Prairie Lake Township (south)
- Balsam Township of Aitkin County (southwest)
- Savanna Portage State Park (southwest)
- Northeast Aitkin Unorganized Territory of Aitkin County (west)
- Potshot Lake Unorganized Territory of Saint Louis County (north)
Triplett Road runs north–south along Halden Township's eastern boundary line with both adjacent Floodwood Township and the city of Floodwood.
As of the census of 2000, there were 154 people, 58 households, and 41 families residing in the township. The population density was 4.3 people per square mile (1.7/km²). There were 74 housing units at an average density of 2.1/sq mi (0.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 100.00% White.
There were 58 households out of which 32.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.3% were married couples living together, 8.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.3% were non-families. 24.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.66 and the average family size was 3.17.
In the township the population was spread out with 26.0% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 26.0% from 45 to 64, and 14.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 111.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 115.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $35,417, and the median income for a family was $43,750. Males had a median income of $35,250 versus $21,563 for females. The per capita income for the township was $15,844. About 13.5% of families and 13.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.5% of those under the age of eighteen and none of those sixty five or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Halden township, St. Louis County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 484.