Halesowen and Rowley Regis (UK Parliament constituency)
|Halesowen and Rowley Regis|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Halesowen and Rowley Regis in West Midlands.
Location of West Midlands within England.
|Electorate||67,656 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Blackheath, Cradley Heath, Halesowen|
|Member of parliament||James Morris (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Halesowen & Stourbridge, Warley West|
|European Parliament constituency||West Midlands|
1997-2010: The Metropolitan Borough of Dudley wards of Belle Vale and Hasbury, Halesowen North, Halesowen South, and Hayley Green, and the Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell wards of Blackheath, Cradley Heath and Old Hill, and Rowley.
2010-present: The Metropolitan Borough of Dudley wards of Belle Vale, Halesowen North, Halesowen South, and Hayley Green and Cradley South, and the Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell wards of Blackheath, Cradley Heath and Old Hill, and Rowley.
The constituency was formed for the 1997 general election, taking in the eastern part of the former Halesowen and Stourbridge constituency[n 4] and the western part of the former Warley West seat. Halesowen and Stourbridge had been held by a Conservative but Labour candidates took its two replacements in 1997.[n 5]
The area formerly in the Halesowen and Stourbridge constituency is in the Dudley borough, while the area formerly in Warley West is within the Sandwell borough (which in turn had formed part of the boroughs of Warley and originally Rowley Regis).
From 1997 until she stood down before the 2010 general election, the seat's MP was Sylvia Heal of the Labour Party. Heal held Mid Staffordshire from a 1990 by-election until she was defeated by the Conservatives in 1992. On becoming the MP for Halesowen and Rowley Regis, she gained more than half of the votes in 1997 and 2001, before her popularity dipped slightly in 2005, still managing to hold on to the constituency.
James Morris of the Conservative Party was elected for the seat in the 2010 general election. With approximately half of the constituency situated within the Sandwell borough, it is the first time that any part of that borough has ever been represented by a Conservative MP since its creation.
Morris was voted by the local party as Conservative candidate for the seat after previous candidate Nigel Hastilow stepped down in November 2007 following a public outcry over his claims that Enoch Powell's Rivers of Blood speech had been proven correct.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Halesowen and Rowley Regis|
|Liberal Democrat||Peter Tyzack||905||2.1||-12.7|
|General Election 2010: Halesowen and Rowley Regis|
|Liberal Democrat||Philip Tibbetts||6,515||14.8||+2.3|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+7.1|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Halesowen and Rowley Regis|
|Liberal Democrat||Martin Turner||5,204||12.6||+2.2|
|Source BBC (2005)|
|General Election 2001: Halesowen and Rowley Regis|
|Liberal Democrat||Patrick Harley||4,089||10.4||+1.9|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Halesowen and Rowley Regis|
|Liberal Democrat||Elaine Todd||4,169||8.5||N/A|
|National Democrats||K. Meads||592||1.2||N/A|
- A borough constituency (for the purposes of election expenses and type of returning officer)
- As with all constituencies, the constituency elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election at least every five years.
- Adding to the three seats in each of the two boroughs
- The western part recreated the Stourbridge seat
- Warley West in 1997 remained held by Labour Party
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Historic Tory win in Halesowen and Rowley Regis". Halesowen News. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Watson, Nick (7 November 2007). "Enoch Powell's ghost". BBC News.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "UK Polling Report". ukpollingreport.co.uk.
- "UK ELECTION RESULTS". electionresults.blogspot.co.uk.
- "general-election.html". Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- Halesowen and Rowley Regis, UKPollingReport
- BBC (2005). Election 2005 - Halesowen & Rowley Regis. Retrieved May 9, 2005.