St Nicholas' Church, Halewood
Halewood shown within Merseyside
|Population||20,116 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
|UK Parliament||Garston and Halewood|
Halewood is a town in the Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley in Merseyside, England. It lies near the city of Liverpool's southeastern boundary, bordered by the suburbs of Netherley, Hunt's Cross and Woolton.
Historically a part of Lancashire, at the 2001 Census, the population of the civil parish was 20,309, remaining similar at the 2011 Census. The combined population of Halewood's four local government wards was 29,217.
Halewood railway station opened in 1988. An earlier station, a few hundred metres further east, had closed in 1951.
Halewood is home to the Jaguar Land Rover Body & Assembly facility, which produces the Land Rover Freelander, Range Rover Evoque and up until Friday 18 December 2009 the Jaguar X-Type. On the same site is a large factory owned by Getrag which produces gearboxes for amongst others the Ford Transit, Ford Fiesta and the Land Rover Defender.
Following significant regeneration efforts since 2004, Halewood has turned a corner. Crime has reduced, the performance of local schools has drastically improved (with Halewood Centre for Learning topping the local authority league tables). New housing developments have created high quality housing which has resulted in an influx of professionals. The old sports centre, Bridgefield Forum, has been knocked down and replaced with the state of the art Halewood Leisure Centre. Other housing communities such as Okell Drive and surrounding areas and housing close to the original Halewood village are also thriving. Halewood's largest employer is the Jaguar Land Rover factory.
Playwright Fred Lawless spent most of his childhood in Halewood and attended St. Mark's Primary School in Leathers Lane.
Katarina Johnson-Thompson, the heptathlete, was born and lives in Halewood.
- 2001 Census: Halewood, Office for National Statistics, retrieved 26 May 2008
- 2001 Census: Halewood East (Ward), Office for National Statistics, retrieved 26 May 2008
- 2001 Census: Halewood North (Ward), Office for National Statistics, retrieved 26 May 2008
- 2001 Census: Halewood South (Ward), Office for National Statistics, retrieved 26 May 2008
- 2001 Census: Halewood West (Ward), Office for National Statistics, retrieved 26 May 2008
- Past Player Profile: Steve McMahon, Liverpool F.C., retrieved 10 May 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Halewood.|