Half Moon Lake, Alberta
Half Moon Lake
Half Moon Estates
|Specialized municipality||Strathcona County|
|• Mayor||Rod Frank|
|• Governing body|
|Elevation||742 m (2,434 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-6 (MDT)|
|Postal code span|
Half Moon Lake is a hamlet in Alberta, Canada within Strathcona County. It is also recognized as a designated place by Statistics Canada under the name of Half Moon Estates. The community is located on the shores of Half Moon Lake, just north of Highway 629, approximately 13 kilometers (8.1 mi) southeast of Sherwood Park.
The hamlet was founded in the late 1950s when the land north of the lake was subdivided into residential lots, with the subdivision of the south side following soon after.
|Half Moon Lake|
South end of Half Moon Lake, as seen from Half Moon Lake Resort
|Max. length||2 km (1.2 mi)|
|Max. depth||8.5 m (28 ft)|
Half Moon Lake is a crescent-shaped body of water that is approximately 2 kilometers (1.2 mi) in length, 250 meters (820 ft) in width and a maximum of 8.5 meters (28 ft) in depth.
Although the lake is surrounded by private land, visitors to Strathcona County will find the commercially run Half Moon Lake Resort at the south end of the lake, which provides access to the lake. The resort, open during the summer months, has campsites, a developed beach, and boat launch.
As a designated place in the 2016 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, Half Moon Estates recorded a population of 218 living in 88 of its 103 total private dwellings, a change of −12.8% from its 2011 population of 250. With a land area of 0.51 km2 (0.20 sq mi), it had a population density of 427.5/km2 ( 1,107.1/sq mi) in 2016.
As a designated place in the 2011 Census, Half Moon Estates had a population of 250 living in 90 of its 96 total dwellings, a 3.3% change from its 2006 population of 242. With a land area of 0.52 km2 (0.20 sq mi), it had a population density of 481/km2 ( 1,250/sq mi) in 2011.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and designated places, 2011 and 2006 censuses (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "Specialized and Rural Municipalities and Their Communities" (PDF). Alberta Municipal Affairs. April 1, 2010. Retrieved July 4, 2010.
- Half Moon Lake Archived 2008-05-17 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and designated places, 2016 and 2011 censuses – 100% data (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 13, 2017.
- "Census 2015: Overall Results" (PDF). Strathcona County. p. 4. Retrieved June 1, 2016.