Half of Me (Geri Halliwell song)
|"Half of Me"|
|Single by Geri Halliwell|
|Released||25 October 2013|
|Label||Sony Music Australia|
|Geri Halliwell singles chronology|
"Half of Me" is a song by British singer-songwriter Geri Halliwell. It was released on 25 October 2013 by Sony Music Australia as the lead single from Halliwell's upcoming fourth studio album. The song marked as Halliwell's first single release in eight years since her 2005 single "Desire".
While residing in Australia as part of the judging panel for Australia's Got Talent, Halliwell co-wrote the song with Australian songwriting duo DNA Songs. Halliwell described the song as a mix of "love, hope and optimism, with a splash of humour."
In September 2013, Halliwell signed with Sony Music Australia and it was announced that she would release her new single "Half of Me" exclusively in Australia as the lead single from her upcoming album. The first two live performances of "Half of Me" took place in October 2013; the first was a private free gig at the Beresford Hotel in Sydney and the second was during the Nine Network programme The Footy Show on 3 October 2013.
After the song's commercial failure, Halliwell opted not to perform the song on Australia's Got Talent or promote it any further, writing on her blog that she wanted to "dust [her]self off".
Mike Wass of Idolator gave "Half of Me" a positive response describing it as a "quirky mid-tempo pop song [that] captures the ginger diva’s bawdy humor and undeniable charm with flair and originality." Eric Shorey of NewNowNext stated "Ginger Spice is riding the waves of two big trends: redheads and 90′s nostalgia. But that doesn’t mean her newest single, "Half of Me" isn’t worth listening to."
In its first week of release in Australia, "Half of Me" sold 393 copies and debuted at number 281 on the ARIA Singles Chart. The song's chart debut was announced in the news as only the top 100 positions are officially published. Halliwell mistakenly wrote on her blog that the song entered the chart at number 94, which was then reported in foreign media.
Mike Wass of Idolator gave the music video a negative review, stating "Low budget videos are part and parcel of the modern music industry but surely Geri can do better than this? The still stunning 41-year-old looks great and salvages the situation to a certain extent through sheer charisma but parading around gays and lesbians to make a diluted statement about diversity is tired and borderline offensive. Only watch up top if you have a high tolerance for second hand embarrassment." Joel Golby of Heat magazine described the video as "15 people in an overlit studio looking confused by an array of topless men."
- Digital download
- "Half of Me" – 3:11
|Australia||25 October 2013||Digital download||Sony Music|
- Brandle, Lars (12 September 2013). "Geri Halliwell Readies New Music, Signs to Sony Music Australia". Billboard. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "Geri Halliwell to Release New Album". Female First. 13 September 2013. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "Geri Halliwell Set To Release New Music!". Take 40 Australia. 15 September 2013. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- Daily Mail Reporter (3 October 2013). "The Iron(ing) Lady: Geri Halliwell poses for Twitter pic in bra as she presses her clothes...ahead of toe-curling live performance of new single". London: Daily Mail. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- Deen, Sarah (9 November 2013). "Geri Halliwell admits she is 'really gutted' as Half Of Me flops". Metro. DMG Media. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Mike Wass (24 October 2013). "Geri Halliwell Returns With Half of Me". Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- Eric Shorey (7 October 2013). "Ginger Spice Debuts New Song "Half of Me": WATCH". Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- Cameron Adams (4 November 2013). "Geri Halliwell's comeback single sells just 393 copies in Australia". news.com.au. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Halliwell, Geri (16 October 2013). "Twitter / Geri Halliwell: I just shot vid - half of me , had such a laugh. X". Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- Sam Rigby (28 October 2013). "Geri Halliwell debuts Half of Me music video". Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- Mike Wass (28 October 2013). "Geri Halliwell Embraces Diversity In Eye-Popping "Half Of Me" Video: Watch". Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- Joel Golby (28 October 2013). "WATCH: It's that new Geri Halliwell music video you asked for. You know the one. Half Of Me. You know". Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "Half of Me by Geri Halliwell". Retrieved 28 October 2013.