September 19, 1997|
|Residence||St. Cloud, Minnesota, U.S.|
|Alma mater||St. Cloud State University|
|Height||5 ft 5.5 in (1.66 m)|
|Eye color||Dark Brown|
|Agency||IMG Models (New York, Paris, Milan, London)|
Halima Aden (born September 19, 1997) is an American fashion model. She is noted for being the first woman to wear a hijab in the Miss Minnesota USA pageant, where she was a semi-finalist. Following her participation in the pageant, Halima received national attention and was signed to IMG Models.
Early life and education
Aden was born in a refugee camp in Kenya, and at the age of six moved to the United States, settling in St. Cloud, Minnesota. Halima's classmates at Apollo High School voted for her as their school homecoming queen. She is a student at St. Cloud State University.
In 2016, Aden received national media attention after competing in the Miss Minnesota USA pageant, becoming the first contestant in the pageant to wear a burkini and a hijab. Some analysts saw this as a move towards diversification in the modeling industry.
The following year, Aden signed a three-year contract with renewal with IMG Models. In February 2017, she made her debut at the New York Fashion Week for Yeezy Season 5. She later served as a preliminary and telecast judge of the Miss USA 2017 pageant. She has since walked for numerous designers, including Maxmara and Alberta Ferretti. She has also participated in the 2016 Milan Fashion Week and London Modest Fashion Week. Aden posed for American Eagle and British Glamour, and has a CR Fashion Book cover.
Aden was the first hijab-wearing model to walk international runways and to be signed to a major agency. In June 2017, she became the first hijab-wearing model on the cover of Vogue Arabia, Allure, and British Vogue.
- "Halima". IMG Models. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "From refugee camp to runway, hijab-wearing model breaks barriers". Muslim Global. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Somali-American teen to be first fully covered Muslim contestant in Miss Minnesota USA". Star Tribune. Retrieved 2017-04-02.
- "Halima Aden Makes History as the First Miss Minnesota USA Contestant to Wear Hijab". Cosmopolitan. 2016-11-28. Retrieved 2017-04-02.
- Bateman, Kristen (28 November 2016). "Halima Aden Is the First to Wear a Burkini and Hijab in a Miss Minnesota USA Pageant". Allure.
- Walano, Rose (16 February 2017). "8 Reasons Why Yeezy's Hijab-Wearing Model Halima Aden Is All We Can Talk About". Us Magazine.
- "Announcing Talent and Judges for the 2017 Miss USA Competition". missuniverse.com. Miss Universe Organization. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "A Closer Look At The Fashion Industry's Embrace Of Muslim Culture | Miss Abaya". Black Abayas | Luxury Abayas | Miss Abaya. 2018-07-22. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- "Style Notes: Halima Aden's First Vogue Cover; Sofia Coppola Directs Cartier Video | Pret-a-Reporter". Hollywoodreporter.com. 2017-01-06. Retrieved 2017-06-24.
- Shakeri, Sima (June 6, 2017). "Halima Aden Makes History As First Hijab-Wearing Model On Vogue's Cover". Huffington Post Canada.
- "Game changer: Halima Aden creates history as first hijab-wearing cover girl". Indian Express. June 9, 2017.
- LAKENYA KELLY, HALIMA ADEN BECOMES FIRST HIJAB MODEL ON VOGUE COVER thedapifer.com JUNE 7, 2017
- Jessica Armbruster, St. Cloud model Halima Aden is on the cover of this month's Vogue Arabia, citypages.com June 5, 2017
- Sarah Young. "Hijab-wearing model Halima Aden makes history as Allure magazine cover girl". The Independent. Retrieved 2017-06-24.
- Pithers, Ellie. "Meet Halima Aden, The First Hijabi Model On The Cover Of Vogue". Retrieved 2018-10-15.
|This biographical article about a model is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|