Halis born in the Tutak Kazası of Bayazıt Sancağı, Erzurum Vilayeti (present day; Tutak District of Ağrı Province), as the son of Abdulmejid Bey, who was the chieftain of Sipkan tribe and one of the commanders of the Hamidiye Cavalry Regiments. He engaged in agriculture.
In 1927, when the Ararat rebellion broke out, he joined in it and played an active role to the end of rebellion. According to Mehmet Ali Kışlalı, some sources mentioned that he was one of the prominent members who stated Ararat rebellion and he was arrested and escaped when he was transferred from Erzurum to Trabzon. He participated in the peace negotiation with the representative of the Republic of Turkey, as the member of delegation of the Republic of Ararat. After the Ararat rebellion was suppressed, he defected to Iran.
After he returned to Turkey with taking advantage of amnesty, he was elected 9th (1950–1954), 10th (1954–1957) and 11th (1957–1960) period deputy for Ağrı Province, Turkish Grand National Assembly from the Democrat Party.
After the coup d'état on May 27, 1960, he was arrested and was tried at the special court of Yassıada. Because he knew very little Turkish language, he gave his plea in "mix language" of Kurdish and Turkish. The accusation of the public prosecutor was violation and disregarding the constitution. He replied Mr. judge, I swear to God, if I've known that there was the constitution under our feet, I wouldn't have trampled on it .
Yassıada High Court of Justice sentenced him to ten years in prison for the violation of the constitution. Abdülmelik Fırat, his dormmate in Yassıada and later Kayseri in his memories named Fırat Mahzun Akar describes him as being clever and witty. Samet Ağaoğlu, another suspect of Yassıada court in his memoirs named Marmara'da Bir Ada tells how Halis Öztürk replied all contemptuous questions by witty answers in his local dialect. He died on 24 September 1977. He had three wives, thirteen daughters and seven sons.
- Rohat Alakom, Hoybûn örgütü ve Ağrı ayaklanması, Avesta, 1998, ISBN 975-7112-45-3, p. 180. (in Turkish)
- İhsan Nuri, Ağrı Dağı İsyanı, Med Yayıncılık, 1992, p. 28. (in Turkish)
- Mehmet Ali Kışlalı, Güneydoğu: Düşük yoğunluklu çatışma, Ümit Yayıncılık, 1996, ISBN 978-975-7115-08-3, p. 128. (in Turkish)
- Kâzım Öztürk, Türk Parlamento Tarihi: TBMM-IX. dönem, 1950-1954: Vol: 7., Türk Parlamento Tarihi Araştırma Grubu, 1999, ISBN 978-975-7291-19-0, (in Turkish)
- Abdülmelik Fırat, Fırat Mahzun Akar, Avesta, 1996, ISBN 978-975-7112-09-9, pp. 38-39. (in Turkish)
- Samet Ağaolğlu, Marmara'da Bir Ada, Baha Matbaası, 1972, p. 76. (in Turkish)