Halite is an open-source computer programming contest developed by the hedge fund/tech firm Two Sigma in partnership with a team at Cornell Tech. Programmers can see the game environment and learn everything they need to know about the game. Participants are asked to build bots in whichever language they choose to compete on a two-dimensional virtual battle field.
Halite II was similar to Halite I, but with a space-war theme. It ran from October 2017 until January 2018. The second installment of the competition attracted about 6,000 individual players from more than 100 countries. Among the participants were professors, physicists and NASA engineers, as well as high school and university students.
Halite III launched in mid-October of 2018. It ran from October 2018 to January 2019, with an ocean themed playing field. Players were asked to collect and manage Halite, an energy resource. By the end of the competition, Halite III included more than 4000 players and 460 organizations.
- "Cornell Tech - Two Sigma Announces Public Launch of Halite, A.I. Coding Game". Cornell Tech. 2016-11-02. Retrieved 2018-10-04.
- Segal, Michael (2017-11-30). "Why a Hedge Fund Started a Video Game Competition". Nautilus.
- Spector, Benjamin; Truell, Michael (2017-10-20). "The Design and Implementation of Modern Online Programming Competitions". arXiv:1710.07738 [cs.CY].
- Haskin, Brian (Janzert). "A Quick Rating System Comparison". janzert.com. Retrieved 2018-10-04.
- "Halite Postmortem · GitBook (Legacy)". GitBook. Retrieved 2018-10-04.
- "Halite Bot Breakdown". dexgroves.github.io. Retrieved 2018-10-04.
- "Halite ML Solution". StakerNotes. 2017-02-18. Retrieved 2018-10-04.
- Wigglesworth, Robin; Palma, Stefania (29 September 2018). "Funds turn to quant 'World Cup' to lure the best analysts". Financial Times. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "A Brooklyn high-schooler takes on the world - Technical.ly Brooklyn". Technical.ly Brooklyn. 2018-01-09. Retrieved 2018-10-04.
- "Test Your AI Coding Skills With This Programming Challenge". MakeUseOf. Retrieved 2018-10-04.
- Sigma, Two. "Two Sigma Launches Halite II: The Open Source Competition for Experimenting With Future Applications of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning". www.prnewswire.com (Press release). Retrieved 2018-10-04.
- "Season 3 of @twosigma's artificial intelligence programming challenge". GitHub. Retrieved 2019-01-10.
- "Halite by Two Sigma". Retrieved 2020-07-11.