|Population||10,852 (2016 census)|
|• Density||1,374/km2 (3,558/sq mi)|
|Area||7.9 km2 (3.1 sq mi)|
|LGA(s)||City of Casey|
|State electorate(s)||Narre Warren North|
Hallam is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 34 km south-east of Melbourne's central business district. Its local government area is the City of Casey. At the 2016 Census, Hallam had a population of 10,852.
The suburb has its own railway station.
The post office opened on 1 May 1889. It closed in 1981, but reopened in 1994.
The railway station opened as Hallam's Road Railway Station. It was renamed Hallam's about 1910 and Hallam about 1925.
According to 2016 Census the most common ancestries in Hallam were English 13.4%, Australian 11.9%, Afghan 8.3%, Indian 5.7% and Sri Lankan 3.9%. 42.3% of residents were born in Australia. The next most common countries of birth were Afghanistan 8.1%, India 5.5%, Sri Lanka 4.7%, New Zealand 2.5% and England 1.9%. The most common responses for religion in Hallam were Catholic 21.5%, Islam 20.0%, No Religion, so described 15.4%, Not stated 8.1% and Buddhism 5.5%. Two in every five people (40.8%) spoke only English at home. Other languages spoken at home included Dari 7.0%, Arabic 3.8%, Sinhalese 3.0%, Hazaraghi 2.8% and Punjabi 2.3%.
Of the 4,953 people who reported being in the labour force in the week before Census night in Hallam, 56.9% were employed full time, 28.9% were employed part-time and 9.3% were unemployed.
Places of interest
- Hallam Community Centre
- Hallam Primary School
- Hallam Senior College
- Hallam Hotel
- Fountain Gate Shopping Centre
- Hallam Pub since 1882
- Hallam Spring Square Shopping Centre
- Cafe Transylvania Hallam
- Jetts Hallam - 24 Hour Fitness
- Gunns Road Reserve Park Hallam
- Kids Space Indoor Play Centre Hallam
- Ern Barker Reserve Park Hallam
- Hallam Recreation Reserve Hall
- Hallam Tennis Club
- Casey Auction Group Hallam
- Euro Cafe & Bakehouse Hallam
- Hallam Gardens Children's Centre
- Mel's Angels Early Learning Centre Hallam
- Xanadu Playcentre and Cafe Hallam
- Phoenix Taekwondo Hallam
- Urban Gym Hallam
- "2016 Census QuickStats Hallam". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- Victorian Department of Sustainability and Environment, [English/CA256F310024B628/0/86882BEC602CCBCDCA2574BB00039A4A/$File/Casey+V44.pdf Locality Names and Boundaries - City of Casey] Check
|url=value (help) (PDF), retrieved 30 October 2008
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, retrieved 11 April 2008